Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on on thursday, really interesting programme :D

A bit of an eye opener for a lot of people I'd imagine, but what a great programme I'll be buying free range chicken from now on

M.A.D said:
Yeah, I always wondered how you could breed, feed, raise, kill, package, distibute and market supermarket chickens for £3.00
and so on..... :lol:

nitram said:
Chickens are easy to keep, ive about 50 hens (lost count cos they keep reproducing / being eaten), 13 ducks, 12 geese and 6 turkeys. Ive not noticed a large influx of rats - just need to be careful not to leave feed and food scraps lying around. Keep the feed off the ground and under cover and you shouldnt have too many problems.

Im lucky in that space isnt a problem having the best party of 30 acres, my hens live just above the shore, so spend a lot of their time on the beach.

Id have thought if you had 3 or 4 hens in a small moveable run then youd not have too many problems with mess depending on what area youve got, good fertilizer too if you let it mix it with compost. The only thing is if you let them range they will dig up flower beds and seedlings, so penning them is better if you are growing veg etc.

Theyre cheap as chips to keep and youll get plenty of eggs through the spring and summer, less in the winter months unless you put lights on them. The only other worry would be neighbours cats and dogs eating them.

I tend to buy hen stuff from here http://www.ascott-shop.co.uk/ they seem pretty good and are helpful if you ring up. The hen houses on their are pretty pricey, but would give you an idea what you need size wise if you make your own.

If you need any help ask

Cheers Martin
You muct own most of the Island :eek: :lol:

I'll definatly be looking into it :D may have to sweet talk the gran to get her to let me :D I only want/need 3

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A-D
Yeah, I always wondered how you could breed, feed, raise, kill, package, distibute and market supermarket chickens for £3.00

or a lot less at most.

*meow* said:
I love the guy and watched his programmes for years.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missbugbabe
A bit of an eye opener for a lot of people I'd imagine, but what a great programme I'll be buying free range chicken from now on

budget bus said:
not for me......ive been watching HFW for years .....we dont buy chaep chicken.....infact we eat less meat know but prefer to spend on better cuts from the butchers.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by *meow*
or a lot less at most.

I love the guy and watched his programmes for years.

M.A.D said:
Yeah, I meant to add 'and make a profit'.

Hey, Meow, very apt that you should post on a chicken thread given your avatar.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missbugbabe

Shocking and very sad

easigee said:
I nearly threw up when they showed the secret footage of the chickens being rammed into those crates

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDGET BUS
not for me......ive been watching HFW for years .....we dont buy chaep chicken.....infact we eat less meat know but prefer to spend on better cuts from the butchers.

missbugbabe said:
Not for me either, but since moving out of home and loosing my job I have been buying the odd £3 chicken when I'm on a real budget. Never in my life have I bought anything but free range eggs though, the yolks of anything else are yello rather than a rich orange

I've been watching his programmes for a long while now and go a lot of foraging for free food mushrooms especially there are LOADS round here! I really want to keep some chickens but I've been told I'm not allowd

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
These are the reasons why I don't eat meat.

If it leads other to only buy free range or ethically farmed, then great. The less suffering for animals the better. :D

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Robs mum was telling me about the pigs they raised to eat, they didn't think they would be able to eat them. As it turned out one of them was a right nasty piece of work so they couldn't wait to chop him up and gobble him :crazy:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
why do we treat animals like shit to eat its counter productive and crool id pay more for
a chicken if i thought it would have been looked after better and im tinking so would
everybody else
what is our world comeing to ,i dont wanna live here but were short on choices

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's amazing how many people have watched this programme! Just went to the pub for a beer and there was a woman talking about it, my parents saw it, his parents saw it, his grand parents saw it.... but still I'm not allowed any chickens!! grr I think this series will have a massive impact on the way people think about their food.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think this needed re-posting :eek:

buggypete said:
how,s this for a thought.i used to work insulating farm buildings.at 1 farm this guy had chickens 'barn' reared for egg production.when they reached the end of their laying life.the hens were simply killed and buryed in a hole in the back field,as they were classified as industrial waste! .it was even too costly to send emfor pet food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts