Volkszone Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The River cottage treatment

5K views 120 replies 27 participants last post by  nitram 
#1 ·
A bit of an eye opener for a lot of people I'd imagine, but what a great programme :D I'll be buying free range chicken from now on :D

#4 ·
Missbugbabe said:
A bit of an eye opener for a lot of people I'd imagine, but what a great programme :D I'll be buying free range chicken from now on :D
not for me......ive been watching HFW for years .....we dont buy chaep chicken.....infact we eat less meat know but prefer to spend on better cuts from the butchers.

#7 ·
BUDGET BUS said:
not for me......ive been watching HFW for years .....we dont buy chaep chicken.....infact we eat less meat know but prefer to spend on better cuts from the butchers.
Not for me either, but since moving out of home and loosing my job I have been buying the odd £3 chicken when I'm on a real budget. Never in my life have I bought anything but free range eggs though, the yolks of anything else are yello rather than a rich orange :eek:

I've been watching his programmes for a long while now and go a lot of foraging for free food mushrooms especially :D there are LOADS round here! I really want to keep some chickens but I've been told I'm not allowd :(

#11 ·
Im lucky to have killed wild animals for food.....it gets things into perspective......and gives you a respect for what you eat.....i guess its not PC these days though......people whine about the cruelty of such a thing whilst tucking into a KFC
dont get me wrong we have bought cheaper cuts in the past but for us theres no choice for the taste......meat thats had a good life tastes better.....i would rather have meat less times a week and have proper meat.....trouble is people like that stupid woman whining about cost....i dont think its an issue .....the problem people like that have is there lazy scumbags who are too idle to cook proper food for their own children.....they would rather spend there money on take aways than proper food...... :rolleyes:

#12 ·
bugger missed it.....raise it, kill it, eat it that's the way its s'posed to be...get all my meat from friends...if you can't string a deer up on a tractor & slit it's throat yourself you don't deserve to eat it....hav to do it on the quiet though all these stupid bloody laws...a farmer can't even slaughter his own meat on his own farm for his own consumption...what's the world coming to?

#13 ·
Missbugbabe said:
I've seen so much stuff like that :( And cows being picked up by cranes by one leg :( It's so sad. But nothing will change until we stop buying cheap meat
:(

Im not against eating meat but what i do think is so very wrong is the total lack of respect that these animals are shown. I only buy free range and if i could afford it i would buy organic but to be honest most nights me and the kids dont eat meat anyway and i have been thinking about going back to vegetarian :eek:

#14 ·
We've been buying veg from our local farm for a while now, we take a walk down into town for fresh meat from our butcher (which is all local and fresh) he also sorts us out with eggs and bread. Then we get our milk delivered too and that comes from another farm up the road.

All in all our food bills are no different from the old weekly Sainsburys/morrisons shop. The food is definately nicer and having half of it delivered is way more convenient than waiting in a queue at the supermarket

Adrian

#15 ·
BUDGET BUS said:
Im lucky to have killed wild animals for food.....it gets things into perspective......and gives you a respect for what you eat.....i guess its not PC these days though......people whine about the cruelty of such a thing whilst tucking into a KFC
dont get me wrong we have bought cheaper cuts in the past but for us theres no choice for the taste......meat thats had a good life tastes better.....i would rather have meat less times a week and have proper meat.....trouble is people like that stupid woman whining about cost....i dont think its an issue .....the problem people like that have is there lazy scumbags who are too idle to cook proper food for their own children.....they would rather spend there money on take aways than proper food...... :rolleyes:
Too right! And the guy going on about making stock for soup! I coudn't imagine chucking the bones away, what a waste :( I must admit I was a little less in the know about chickens than I was about the eggs. But you can always taste the difference.

As for killing animals for food, when I was about 16 I shot a pigeon with an air rifel. My dad made me pluck it, gut it and cook it (2 breasts fried and stock with the rest, bones eventually going to the dog). I think it was one of the best lessons I've ever had! People need to know where their meat comes from. I think there'd be a hell of a lot more veggies out there if they did. Not me though I love my meat!

#16 ·
Missbugbabe said:
Too right! And the guy going on about making stock for soup! I coudn't imagine chucking the bones away, what a waste :( I must admit I was a little less in the know about chickens than I was about the eggs. But you can always taste the difference.

As for killing animals for food, when I was about 16 I shot a pigeon with an air rifel. My dad made me pluck it, gut it and cook it (2 breasts fried and stock with the rest, bones eventually going to the dog). I think it was one of the best lessons I've ever had! People need to know where their meat comes from. I think there'd be a hell of a lot more veggies out there if they did. Not me though I love my meat!
Ive never had pigeon......i used to eat rabbit(shot and caught with terriers) and homegrown chicken both back years ago.....i KNOW my food that i ate those days had a good natural life.......i think everyone who eats meat should kill for food atleast once....

#17 ·
elajf1 said:
We've been buying veg from our local farm for a while now, we take a walk down into town for fresh meat from our butcher (which is all local and fresh) he also sorts us out with eggs and bread. Then we get our milk delivered too and that comes from another farm up the road.

All in all our food bills are no different from the old weekly Sainsburys/morrisons shop. The food is definately nicer and having half of it delivered is way more convenient than waiting in a queue at the supermarket

Adrian
Defiately the way to go. I wish there were more farm markets. We're pretty lucky that Dez's dad is mates with a lot of the farmers round here so we get 80% of our veggies for free, and we grow a lot ourselves too and I make bread when I have time as well as home brew :D Just need a cow now for milk and a few chickens for eggs and we'll be sorted :D

#19 ·
BUDGET BUS said:
Being a farmers daughter I've seen and become aclimatised to animal death, I've killed animals for food myself....it wasn't nice but my father taught me the truth....it wasn't pleasant but I doubt many have had thatt opportunity.

I've been meat free

#20 ·
BUDGET BUS said:
Ive never had pigeon......i used to eat rabbit(shot and caught with terriers) and homegrown chicken both back years ago.....i KNOW my food that i ate those days had a good natural life.......i think everyone who eats meat should kill for food atleast once....
Not a lot on a pigeon tbh, you need a few for a good meal. I think Dez and I are going to start going shooting with his dad (I rekon molly would make a great gun dog :lol: ), so much more rewarding if it's not from the supermarket. I've shot rabbits a few times in the past, but only for pest control and a tasty treat for the dog.

(Sure someone PC will come on here soon and 'shoot us down' though :lol: )

#24 ·
easigee said:
:(

Im not against eating meat but what i do think is so very wrong is the total lack of respect that these animals are shown. I only buy free range and if i could afford it i would buy organic but to be honest most nights me and the kids dont eat meat anyway and i have been thinking about going back to vegetarian :eek:
Vegitarianim is key to Buddhism...I have loads of tips if you need them....I was a partner to a Buddhist for many years. :)

#25 ·
he's a top bloke.....he's given many people inspiration.

it hurts to see animals being treated this way, but it's not going to change soon imho.

that bird moaning about cost made me laugh........standing having a ***.....if she was bothered at all, she'd give up and spend the £35 a week on feeding her kids decent food........but that's another argument i suppose ;)

i'm just on with digging over my allotment after a 2 year wait for one....and i'm trying to buy better meat than 'smartprice'.....but i must admit, with 3 kids it's difficult to eat decent stuff often.

when we were in france last month.......we looked at properties where people kept rabbits(huge!) and pigeons(huge!) in cages......after seeing 2 or 3 i realised they weren't pets :D

food for thought............(pun) :)

#26 ·
Missbugbabe said:
Defiately the way to go. I wish there were more farm markets. We're pretty lucky that Dez's dad is mates with a lot of the farmers round here so we get 80% of our veggies for free, and we grow a lot ourselves too and I make bread when I have time as well as home brew :D Just need a cow now for milk and a few chickens for eggs and we'll be sorted :D
Cool, if we had the space we would get a few chickens and definately grow veg. Our little end terrace is a bit too cramped as it is though.

Adrian

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.