Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to go look at a 1980 bay window high top camper i have seen for sale. Its a 1.6 full camper conversion. Look reasonable from the drive by i did. Is there anything else i need to look out for or know about them apart from the usual rot round, arches/sills/window etc etc?

Has anyone got a late one- what do you think of them.
Its up for £3k ono is that a fair price.

Thanks in advance :hangloose

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Not owned one but i've welded up enough of them for MOT's...

rotboxes...all of them :crazy:

Have a good look at cab steps, inner front cross member, outriggers, inner sills, battery trays, inside of rear valence, beam, seatbelt mounts, bulkhead, chassis legs around beam, inner rear arches, cab floor, rear loading floor, basically anywhere they could rot...they generally do ;)

Hope this helps :eek:

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
it WILL be rusty :)

if you can't see any rust, it means the rust is hiding in all the double skinned panels :)

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
The late ones are often panel van conversions, so check the windows frames carefully as they were often unprotected after being cut out.
HiTops also can suffer from serious gutter/roof rot, so check there also.

The rest is the normal. A late hi-top panel conversion would have to be quite good for £3k, really, at this time of year.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh pretty much as i thought- check the whole damn thing for rot!!!

Yeah i'm thinking, if its not near enough mint for £3k im walking- don't have the time or interest for sorting rot. A bit of surface rust or tattyness would be fine.

I guess the 1.6 is going to be pretty weak as well on the late bays?

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
My advice would be buy a wedge... for 3k you could get sooo much more.....

Had a 79 1.6 devon bay window... and wouldn't have another...

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
i agree with above.

i had a 79 viking and it was so rotten it was shocking.... :eek: i mean i once booted the rear corner when it spat a plug out and about 2-3kg worth of rust fell out....

i also had a t25 westie hightop, ugly but so much more practical, drove well (watercooled and 5 speed) and sat at 70 mph all day....cost me less than the viking too (which i ended up scrapping)

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh really? The high top thing is putting me off a little as to is thats its a 1.6. Guess i can look and have a think. Off to see it shortly. Im not keen on wedges as they aren't really my cup of tea- bit too modern for me!

I'd love a split but then thats a different league in money terms.

·
Registered
41,019 Posts
I've got a 1980 bay, it failed the mot recently on quite a few bits, ball joints, leaky shocks etc but the only patches that needed welding were the seatbelt mounts.

If it has MOT that sounds like a good price, make sure its taxed to, thats a killer :(

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Turbo_Rich said:
Ahh really? The high top thing is putting me off a little as to is thats its a 1.6. Guess i can look and have a think. Off to see it shortly. Im not keen on wedges as they aren't really my cup of tea- bit too modern for me!

1.6 in a late bay will be no more underpowered than in an early bay. Yeah, it'll be slow - but it'll still be able to keep up with traffic and sit at 60 all day.

Rot - you're looking for rot on any split or bay, no difference in a late bay.

Now for some advantages, frmo someone who owns a late bay...

- Better soundproofing
- Comfortable and smooth to drive
- Better brakes
- Demisters that work!
- A few less years in which the rot's had a chance to set in.
- Driving it feels amazingly different (and more modern) to driving an early bay.
- Loads of other stuff that I can't think of right now...

I'd sooner have a late bay than an early bay or a split, any day of the week.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
id personally think that the latter bays and beetles rust easier than the earlier stuff, no real proff, it might be summat to do with the dip driming and possible less ventilation holes etc, that makes the earlier stuff less rotern, + ive welded up more late bays and beetles (and not because thertes more of em!!).......

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
yesh alex, thats true about the dip priming, later stuff aint as good as early stuff.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
A late bay is loads better to drive than an early bay if it's any good. I'm fortunate enough to have driven many late models in good condition, 1600 and 2 litre, and I personally wouldn't have anything else. But a crap van is a crap van, no matter what year it is...

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Turbo_Rich said:

rich you drive a golf.... they are the same era.... :incheek:

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
In my experience late bay windows are always more rotton than splits. Earlier vw's always seem to be so much better built.

That said though, if it were my money i'd be buying a wedge too, they don't really rot underneath, seem to remember being told the chassis on them was galvanised. Also they have nice touches like rack and pinion steering.

Either way you'll get alot more wedge for your cash than you would bay.

Check out this one my friend is selling for proof...

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=301484

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went to have a look today and to be honest its not bad, worst things i could see were a couple of small holes on the end of the sills in the front arches, think the front screen was leaking as the floor was wet, maybe a patch above passenger front arch. Tailgate and engine lid bottom could probably do with repair. Exhaust is rotten.

That was it bar the usual sloppy bay gear mixing spoon! The camper part was ok but laid out odd ie you had to use the cooker over your left shoulder if sat in the back!

So really a weekends work and it would be ok again but i thought it was too much for £3k, maybe I'll ring up in a couple of weeks and offer £2200.

As I was driving there I thought that £3k was alot of cash regardless and some of the t25/t4's that are coming up would be more practical and in some cases half the money! The only thing is its going to be an occasional use vehicle would a more modern vehicle be a waste!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts