Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to calm him down a bit. some people say it works some say it dont.
does anyone know anything about dogs

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
He's a gorgeous looking boy. He looks so calm and peaceful just like our 10 month old border aho is defo going to loose his two veg, although not necessarily at the vets if he carries on ignoring me and playing with other dogs!!!!!! ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Mad dog woman reporting for duty :D :rolleyes:

I'm glad you're thinking of getting him done. It's not a cure all for behaviour problems (if he has any) but its definately a move in the right direction for modifying certain unwanted behaviours. The other thing thats really important is that once he's done, he's much less at risk of getting certain life threatening conditions (one of the biggest killers of un-neutered dogs is testicular cancer and if he's not got his nuts, he can't get it ;) ). He's also much less likely to take off over your garden fence after a bitch and get killed on the road in the process.

Unless a person intends to breed their dog (which is another big issue for another thread) then ideally, all dogs of both sexes should be done.

Just to give you another thing to think of regarding male dogs and whether to have them done. Imagine if you as a bloke were allowed to look at the most gorgeous women but you were never allowed to touch - ever - for all your life. Imagine how frustrating that would be! Now imagine that un-neutered male dogs can detect a bitch in season within something like a 15 mile radius. Imagine that torture being flaunted at you every day - can you imagine how frustrating THAT would be?! So, its definately kinder to the dog you love to not make him suffer that - plus all the health benefits mentioned above - plus the fact that the world could definately do without more unwanted/unplanned puppies being created.

Have a chat with your vet and take his/her professional advice :)

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Get him some 'Neuticles' - prosthetic bollocks. He won't miss them then. I think an American guy invented them.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts

Bruce was done when he was pretty young. We even gave him an old cushion to "get it out of his system" before the operation but he didn't want to for some reason. He's still pretty mad but not half as mad as he would've been.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
bully365 said:
to calm him down a bit. some people say it works some say it dont.
does anyone know anything about dogs
"YOU LOOKING AT ME ?"

·
Registered
911 Posts
does it calm bitches down? my mad staffordshire bull terrier DOES MY HEAD IN!!!!!!! she is so manic its unreal, any tips from anyone would be good, oh and i have considered the get rid option or the throw a really long stick and then run the oppisite direction as quickly as possible but i think my girls would be devastated.

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
thebetterhalf said:
He's a gorgeous looking boy. He looks so calm and peaceful just like our 10 month old border aho is defo going to loose his two veg, although not necessarily at the vets if he carries on ignoring me and playing with other dogs!!!!!! ;) ;)
Don't do it :eek: , we have a Border who is 14 months old, he IS manic, all we do is walk him for an extra 15 mins a day(about an hour and 15 in total),you just have to make the time for them, i work 12hours a day 5 days a week and i make the time.

Cutting his balls off won't make him come back to you.;)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Cutting off his balls won't make a dog come back to you but it will quell the urges which may be partly responsible for other things being more interesting than you in the park :D It works best done alongside some behaviour training.

Two books which I've found useful, for anyone who may be interested - Think Dog by John Fisher (some people say some of the ideas are a bit out-dated but I still think its very worth a read) and also The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey (definately not just for new puppy owners - gives a real good insight into how to bring up any dog).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts