Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wacthed it tonight on dvd. Thought the intro was great the first 20 mins actually, getting all nostalgic and that, then it just got too bloody ugly.

I was brought up on a shite housing estate in a shite part of North London, skinheads, mods, fighting, vandalising derelict buildings and getting up to no good. I didnt kick peoples heads in tho, I know that sort of shit was every day life back then but I guess I wasnt expecting it.

Was a bit dissapointed with the film - the same time its just about one blokes take on his childhood and at least it wasnt glorified I guess.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Seen a couple of his films (but not this one) and found them well worked and quite emotive (even if you dont like the subject topic).

Still looking forward to seeing it (when it reaches Film4). lol

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
great film the begining brought it all back for me being a mini skinhead in sunny lowestoft, no major council estates and no hassles . the extras had a better ending for me .

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
nazi scum did worm their way into the skinhead way of life and i think the film showed that.
i was a skin and still know loads of cool skins but the general public would instantly think them nazis :mad:it was great that the film showed the other side of skinhead.
loved the early stages, remided me so much of being a little skin back in 80/81 :D the girls were hot as well ;)

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
i enjoyed it but if it was made about the skinheads i grew up with it would have been a bit diffrent

it s factual
there where rallies like that and recruters for the apl/nf
i remember when i used to have to leg it in the park when i was 7 cos i was a bit darker than the other kids when the nf skins turned up
good film though . didnt like the ending .but there are people like that about today always hae ben always will be :(

32,416 Posts
I was involved in both the Scooter scene and Football in the 80's, and I think that This is England is a pretty good account of how the Far Right infiltrated into the lives of the working Class and especially into the Skinhead movement.

West Ham had a real problem at one point with the National Front, and the racists did generally adopt the Skinhead look. Shame for them that the Hooligan element at the club where quite concertedly multi racial, Cass Pennant being the most famous, but with a fair few Black and Asian blokes involved. Eventually the National Front, their followers and 'Bulldog' sellers where ousted from the ground.

In the same mould, the Anti-Racist skinheads in the scootering world where strong in 'discouraging' the Bonehead elements...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts