Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
166,693 Posts
:lol:

'No God' campaign draws complaint

Scientist and atheist Richard Dawkins backed the campaign

An atheist campaign claiming "There's probably no God" has been reported to the advertising regulator.

Posters with the slogan appear on 800 buses in England, Scotland and Wales, as well as on the London Underground.

But organisation Christian Voice has complained to the Advertising Standards Authority saying they break rules on substantiation and truthfulness.

The British Humanist Association, which backed the campaign, said it was not taking the complaint seriously.

There is plenty of evidence for God, from people's personal experience, to the complexity, interdependence, beauty and design of the natural world
Stephen Green
Christian Voice

The ASA's code states "marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims". The regulator said it would assess the complaint and decide whether to contact the advertiser.

The adverts contain the slogan: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

But Stephen Green, national director of Christian Voice, said: "There is plenty of evidence for God, from people's personal experience, to the complexity, interdependence, beauty and design of the natural world.

"But there is scant evidence on the other side, so I think the advertisers are really going to struggle to show their claim is not an exaggeration or inaccurate, as the ASA code puts it."

The campaign was dreamed up by comedy writer Ariane Sherine and was supported by scientist and vocal atheist Richard Dawkins.

Hanne Stinson, chief executive of the British Humanist Association, said: "I've sought advice from some of our key people here, but I'm afraid all I've got out of them so far is peals of laughter.

"I am sure that Stephen Green really does think there is a great deal of evidence for a God (though presumably only the one that he believes in), but I pity the ASA if they are going to be expected to rule on the probability of God's existence."

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
FUNNY AS FOOK!!

Love stuff like that...how do you prove otherwise?

Don't ever take for granted the democracy we live in... (that applies to this very forum too;))

Free speech rocks, fuck The Police (hang on, I'm getting carried away now:crazy:)

;)

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:lol: @ tag.:D

I got from a large breasted ladies cleavage and that is the end of the matter. I have a witness.:D Although I suspect it was my witness that tagged it.:D

·
14,704 Posts
:lol: @ tag.:D

I got from a large breasted ladies cleavage and that is the end of the matter. I have a witness.:D Although I suspect it was my witness that tagged it.:D
If it came from a large breasted ladies cleavage it may well have been a gift from god;)

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
PMSL :lol: Brilliant stuff :D
This is one of my favourite bits
But Stephen Green, national director of Christian Voice, said: "There is plenty of evidence for God, from people's personal experience, to the complexity, interdependence, beauty and design of the natural world.
So not much evidence at all then :lol: He exists because someone wrote about it in a book & because we can't think of a better explanation for things happening :crazy: Oh well I'm convinced then ;)

On a legal note, surely putting "Probably" in the add puts them in the clear anyway, in the same way that Carlsberg can call it "probably the best lager in the world"? They don't actually state what percentage of probability they think the chances of there not being a God is :)

·
52,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PMSL :lol: Brilliant stuff :D
This is one of my favourite bits

So not much evidence at all then :lol: He exists because someone wrote about it in a book & because we can't think of a better explanation for things happening :crazy: Oh well I'm convinced then ;)
Does anyone remember the Red Dwarf episode 'Better than Life' when they find the old news tapes. It mentions the lost pages of the bible that say something like 'Any resemblance to real persons,
living or dead is purely coincidental.' :D

On a legal note, surely putting "Probably" in the add puts them in the clear anyway, in the same way that Carlsberg can call it "probably the best lager in the world"? They don't actually state what percentage of probability they think the chances of there not being a God is :)
I notice that it doesn't mention any Muslims or Jews kicking off about it. Only Christians, after all, all three religions worship the same god. Which always confuses me as to why none of them can get along and play nice with each other.

·
17,488 Posts
I notice that it doesn't mention any Muslims or Jews kicking off about it. Only Christians, after all, all three religions worship the same god. Which always confuses me as to why none of them can get along and play nice with each other.
you're doing it wrong........no, you are.........no you are......etc

;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts