Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After turning this, 2004-2006 (17-19years old).

Into this \/ for my first "training project" project,

I then set about bringing my aussie bay up to standard (2006-2007), it went from this

To this

Then last year (2007-2008) I helped my brother sort out the rot on his English cross-over bay, that went from this \/

To this

And this year I felt it was time for a change, so I decided to get my first beetle. After just missing out on an oval (through word of mouth) a few months ago, I recently manage to find my next project. This lovely 1974 1303 1600cc super beetle. It has 56,000 miles, 2 owners from new, lots of good history and is a good solid base but the past 6 years of the road has started to do its damage and she needs a lot of tlc. So heres the pic's after getting it back to my garage today. First job was to get her running so it would be easier to move it in and out, so after a bit of a service and a new battery she burst into life and sounds really nice.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
video of it running for the first time in 6 years.

and it now starts like this

[/URL][/IMG]

more coming tomoz

:hangloose

Mark

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me thinks its a limited edition 1303s "Big Beetle".

Nice car, think it has the thicker steering wheel, and nice upholstery when new.

Good luck with it.

Tony
what was the differances with the "big beetle" then? does say some about that on the orginal bill of sale £1368.53=£1297 for "vw 1303s big '74 beetle", £45 for seat belts, £26.53 for metallic paint. The history thats come with the car is quite amazing tax discs back to 77 and mot's to 81.:)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like a good project car mate. What are your plans for it?
thanks mate, my plans with this one is to do a bit of a stock resto. so cut back the original paint and get that looking as good as i can, new wings. underside is solid, so I want to show that off, so plenty of detailing underneath. Tidy up the original engine and detail. Interior I'm going to try and find material to match the seat inserts as the vinyl is good its just the white inserts that need replacing. Hopefully all will go well and I won't find any nasties.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gave it a bit of a clean today to get as much of the moss off as i could and to see if the original could be polished up (looks ok so far).

also took the carpet up and started taking the sound proving up to see what the floor pans are like (again so far so good) lots of surface rust but all cleans up to shiny metal and no holes to report as of yet. overall very pleased with the bug, won't be doing much for a few weeks now (vw action) but its coming along nicely.

Mark

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just been up to show the girlfriend the bug, she drove it round the garage park and loves it, so its all good. ;):D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it ends up anywhere near as good as the buses and golf you've done its gonna be a stunner.:D
cheers mate. hopefully it will look good when its done, always makes all the hard work worth while when someone else enoying your dubs,

Mark

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
After spending the evening yesterday doing nothing but putting my new wheels on (got at action), which was completely pointless because they will only be coming back off soon anyway. I set about doing something a little more constructive tonight, so I decided to remove the rotten running boards and start taking the wings off. Also took the bumpers off ready to change the brackets and rubber strips over to the good original ones I picked up (also from action). Anyway heres the pic's.

Got the running boards off fine, all the bolts came out nice and easily and I was very pleasantly surprised at what I found underneath /\ (good solid original shiny paint) :D

Then set about on the wings again the bolts came out no worries and behind what was a very rotten wing was perfect fixing holes and body shell, in all its green glory :). Got two done then started running out of light, so I'll do the others tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

With the light fading I took some more random pictures and put the bug away for another day in my very tightly packed garage, seriously starting to run out of room now.:eek:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

back in her bed for now, more coming tomorrow.

Overall a very productive evening me thinks, even manage to remember to get a loaf of bread on the cycle home,

:lol:

sometimes feel I'm growing up to quickly :rolleyes:. Only 20 and buying bread, living with girlfriend in our flat, am now an uncle as of Sunday :D and this is my forth dub project :crazy:. Oh well you only live once.;)

Thanks for looking,

Mark

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like it will be awesome based on your previous work! I'm 20 too and wondering where I went wrong, I only started my first project a few months ago :lol: and now I see you've been at it for years! Wish I'd got involved like that earlier! Best of luck with the project.
Cheers mate, i think its the older brothers and parents both of which have had or have got dubs that got me started early :D.

hope your project and any future ones you may do go well and that you enjoy them, I know I do.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
done more tonight, got the other wings off. managed to get them all off only snapping 2 bolts, so im pleased with that :), and i haven't found anywhere that needs any welding yet :D. anyway heres the pic's from tonight.

away for another night, still need more room though :lol:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Get looking harder, we can't be having a 1303 that doesn't need welding.:incheek:
:cool:I'm hoping that I will get through the whole resto without finding any holes, so I can call it an un-welded original bug. So far so good all the usual spots are very solid must be down to its very low mileage, however I'm sure I'll find something in the end ;).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh and good choice of wheels, I love smoothies :D
cheers dude, I have always liked them too and when I saw a set at action for a good price, as I needed new tyres anyway I thought why not. Will be keeping the originals though because apparently there the rare 5.5" versions that came with the "Big Beetle"

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I like they look ace with a set of dome hub caps on them :D

Is it just the rears that are 5.5" or all round?
all round (why?, will that cause problems). oh and they will be getting the domed caps on once i get round to getting them down from my loft ;):D

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.