Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inteligence verses Common Sense...

Just a thought as i have completed a couple of quotes for people who seem to regard themselves as intelligent. You know the sort, loads of books scaterd around their house, they say "of course" a lot and blink more times than necessary.

When explaining how i would run a switch or light, they dont seem to be able grasp simpe things like that switch will need a cable routing to it???

So, has their knowledge of many things pushed out their natural abilty to work things out?

So, what is better...

A good memory or the abilty to work things from instinct and no help?

Discuss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,322 Posts
Nothing to discuss. Your observation is obviously an acurate depiction of the general hoi poloi. I myself regard excessive blinking as an essential requisit of my daily routine, for blinking is required to cool down my intelligence in order to understand your self proclaimed working class, tug forelock, I know my place guv, take on life.

Switch? Routing? I have no idea what you are on about, young man... It's all my books, you see.. they are strewn everywhere...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
funky munky said:
Nothing to discuss. Your observation is obviously an acurate depiction of the general hoi poloi. I myself regard excessive blinking as an essential requisit of my daily routine, for blinking is required to cool down my intelligence in order to understand your self proclaimed working class, tug forelock, I know my place guv, take on life.

Switch? Routing? I have no idea what you are on about, young man... It's all my books, you see.. they are strewn everywhere...
Yes, exactly the sort. Those that wear their so called inteligence like a badge. :D When really they have just read alot.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
funky munky said:
Nothing to discuss. Your observation is obviously an acurate depiction of the general hoi poloi. I myself regard excessive blinking as an essential requisit of my daily routine, for blinking is required to cool down my intelligence in order to understand your self proclaimed working class, tug forelock, I know my place guv, take on life.

Switch? Routing? I have no idea what you are on about, young man... It's all my books, you see.. they are strewn everywhere...
Oh and not really a "know my place in life" comment. :rolleyes:

Or are you saying those with common sense are working class and those who regard themselves as intelligent are of a higher class? ;)

And remember the quote by Dwight D Eisenhower - "An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows." ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
funky munky said:
Of course.... education in any shape or form should be avoided at all costs.. what are people thinking? Books are a disease, or something... maybe i should look it up...
Your missing the point.

What is more important a good memory or the abilty to work things out without the resources?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ugly Bloke said:
Actually you alluded at this in your very first post on this thread.
Show me where? At which point did i mention class?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,322 Posts
Baza said:
Your missing the point.

What is more important a good memory or the abilty to work things out without the resources?
I'm not missing the point.. I just don't see anything tangible to discuss, especially when a person with their head in a book is perfectly capale of common sense, and vice versa.

I am merely affectionately taking the piss out of the scenario. I read vats amounts, and i'm pretty handy at lots of things. Do you see my point? I don't really generalise people in such way. Like it's been mentioned before, strengths and weaknesses show their colours in many ways, but to slag people off because they 'read' is just silly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,322 Posts
Baza said:
Oh and not really a "know my place in life" comment. :rolleyes:

Or are you saying those with common sense are working class and those who regard themselves as intelligent are of a higher class? ;)

And remember the quote by Dwight D Eisenhower - "An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows." ;)
My original reply really wasn't to be taken seriously, but more a measure of comparision by way of narative in order to...

ahh.. forget it.. I don't walk in circles...

"irony is not without its sense of humour" - Morpheus - fictional dude
 

·
walking the black dog
Joined
·
65,317 Posts
Baza said:
Show me where? At which point did i mention class?
Go back and read your 1st post.

You don't have to say the word CLASS to hint at it.

p.s. Class has an unseen letter R in there ;)

Baza said:
Just a thought as i have completed a couple of quotes for people who seem to regard themselves as intelligent. You know the sort, loads of books scaterd around their house, they say "of course" a lot and blink more times than necessary.
Now if that isn't a hint at clarss difference, then I don't what is.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
funky munky said:
I'm not missing the point.. I just don't see anything tangible to discuss, especially when a person with their head in a book is perfectly capale of common sense, and vice versa.

I am merely affectionately taking the piss out of the scenario. I read vats amounts, and i'm pretty handy at lots of things. Do you see my point? I don't really generalise people in such way. Like it's been mentioned before, strengths and weaknesses show their colours in many ways, but to slag people off because they 'read' is just silly...
I am not slagging people off because they have read :mad:

Just recently i have completed a few jobs for customers who would regard themselves as over intelligent people who really know fuck all about basic things, how to change a wheel, how to wire a plug, how to switch the dishwasher on. But these people still have a degree or masters sitting on their wall.

The thread was just a thought about how these people would survive in a real life situation where they had to rely on their instincts rather than their knowledge.
 

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
Joined
·
11,289 Posts
Baza said:
...What is more important a good memory or the abilty to work things out without the resources?
what an odd question!

by the way....I have both an exceptional memory and a genius abilty to work things out :p just thought I'd share that with you :lol:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ugly Bloke said:
Go back and read your 1st post.

You don't have to say the word CLASS to hint at it.

p.s. Class has an unseen letter R in there ;)

Now if that isn't a hint at clarss difference, then I don't what is.
Sorry my friend but in your head only.

At no point of writing that did i think it was classed based???? :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,213 Posts
Baza said:
What is more important a good memory or the abilty to work things out without the resources?
A friend and I like gadgets. He opens the box and plays with it - he can't wait to get his hands on it. I, on the other hand want to read the manual to see exactly what it can do and familiarise myself with it, then I get my hands on it. I probably know more about its capabilities by the time I start using it, but that's not everyone's style. Doesn't mean one is more intellectual or intellingent than the other - just different ways.

I have another friend who is a serial student. Degree after degree, and can't even work out how to operate everyday household items. I guess he's not practically minded, and just isn't interested. I wouldn't say he's more intellectual or intelligent - just academic. Whilst I'd employ him to do some academic research, I certainly wouldn't want him changing a light switch :crazy:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It seems ive posted this thread in the wrong forurm. I should have posted it in cloth cap working men.com

Then perhaps i would have got a sensible answer. Got to go now, must get to my job before my master beats me. Ive loads of dirty hard work to do, but im happy...

I know my place! :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just one more thing to chew on before i go.

About 5 years ago inbetween jobs i worked with a young lady who had just finished her masters. We worked as temps scanning engineering drawings into a scanner all day. Boring as shite! We got on really well, same sense of humour but she had no ability to work anything out. It use to boil my piss considering she has a degree and masters.

One day, in front of the boss she was bum kissing the boss's arse trying to show interest in the scanners. Half way through the conversation she said "So do these things use a lot of ink?" I had to stop myself from laughing :D
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top