Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

I had a pretty poor day yesterday as I went to install my new engine and had been supplied the wrong clutch :( -not sure which one I actually need?

I have a new 1600TP engine (with new 200mm flywheel) going into my 12V wide 5 1967 beetle.

The gearbox is original to the car and is the earlier type without the clutch release bearing guide.

As far as I know I need a 200mm clutch kit with the early bearing, and the pressure plate needs to be 3 prongs rather than leaves
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,933 Posts
sounds like you need the 180mm type, but not sure if your flywheel will suit the old type clutch plate. do you have the original flywheel from the old engine??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ttgeezer said:
sounds like you need the 180mm type, but not sure if your flywheel will suit the old type clutch plate. do you have the original flywheel from the old engine??
Hello there,

I do have a couple of 180mm flywheels, but as the engine and flywheel are new, and the endfloat has been set perfectly, this is not the route I want to take -in fact I'd rather but a new gearbox (perhaps not)

Out of interest, the engine I have from you, is the flywheels 200mm, and did you drain the oil?

Thanks,

Matt
 

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
Joined
·
41,834 Posts
mattp said:
As far as I know I need a 200mm clutch kit with the early bearing, and the pressure plate needs to be 3 prongs rather than leaves
You need the early 200mm kit with the early bearing and the pressure plate will have a thrust ring mounted in the centre of it. It doesn't matter if the pressure plate has '3 prongs' or 'leaves', either is OK.
Like this one..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,933 Posts
mattp said:
Hello there,

I do have a couple of 180mm flywheels, but as the engine and flywheel are new, and the endfloat has been set perfectly, this is not the route I want to take -in fact I'd rather but a new gearbox (perhaps not)

Out of interest, the engine I have from you, is the flywheels 200mm, and did you drain the oil?

Thanks,

Matt
The flywheel is a 215mm, so probably no good either. I agree with you on the flywheel change, so i guess its another clutch??
In regards to the oil, I didnt drain it, but i think it was dry anyway (maybe a bit left in it !!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moby, thank you for the reply.

I have now ordered the correct clutch (200mm>1970).

Thanks,

Matt :coffeecup
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top