Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peeps.

Reading through "How to keep your VW alive" book and I'm totally confused when it comes to the timing of my 1971 1302s.

I've checked the valves and points. The engine is completely standard. (How do I know if it's a twin port or single port?) Vacume dizzy, 34 PICT 1-3 carb.

On the pulley, there is one big notch facing the engine. There is also a very small groove to the left of the big notch (also on the engine side). This groove is tiny and could mean nothing?

The book says that a 1971-73 AE should be timed to 5' ATDC. So would that be the tiny notch to the left of the big one? What should I do with the vacume hose?

I've got a strobe light.

Thanks for any help on this. I'm lost.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I think I'm there. I timed it to the small groove just left of the big notch and the car ran smooth but i noticed some performance loss. So I timed it to the big notch using the strobe, then checked it with a static light and it ran nicely with good performace.

One thing I did notice, is the notch seems to advance with the revs, but it doesnt make a difference if the vacume pipes from the carb to the dizzy are attached or not. Would my dizzy be mechanical + vacume? I don't see how else the advance is working...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here is a picture of the pully. You can't see the left groove but it's where my fingure is pointing. The main notch is in the center. My engine number ends with AE.

I've not got a picture of my distributor, but i think the vacuum unit is bigger than most I can find on the web. It has 2 hoses coming out it, one pointing down and left, the other on the back pointing out. Both hoses are connected to the carb. The flexi hose on the back of the vacuume unit is connected to the pipe sticking out at you on the carb (this is sucking air). The other hose is a funny shape and is connected to the side of the carb. As far as I can tell, this second hose does nothing. There is no suck/blow from the carb on this hose.

Cheers for your help once again Moby

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
DB82 said:
Here is a picture of the pully.
My engine number ends with AE.

I've not got a picture of my distributor, but i think the vacuum unit is bigger than most I can find on the web. It has 2 hoses coming out it.......
Mail me a clear pic of the yellow square area, not a fuzzy one.
Your engine number ends in AE? What is the full engine number?
I know which distributor you have, unfortunately not a good one, but do you have a dwell meter to test it with?
Suck and blow down each distributor pipe to see if the diaphragm is leaking. A leak will let you suck air, a good diaphragm will prevent you sucking air.
I'll pick up on this quicker tomorrow if you mail me, but post here if you would rather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts