21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
gipf said:
Wake up its total bollocks!!!!!!!!!!
I am awake!
Like myself & others have said ' you have to go and decide for yourself if you like it or not'

Just because you think it it Bollocks dosnt mean that myself & anyone else have to stay away from it & not experiance it for ourselves!!

Like i have said i enjoyed it by ignoring the arseholes & just going to the entertainment that i knew i would enjoy! :D
Doing this i had a great weekend :hangloose

·
Registered
846 Posts
I haven't been for the last few years but I wouldn't rule out going again in the future. The first time I went was in '91 and had a great time (despite massive sun burn and getting sick from swallowing something dodgy while surfing!) and then I pretty much went every year until a few years back.
I can see people's arguments that it's changed and all that but from what I've seen on various trips to Newquay (both on RTTS and other times) it's not so much the event as the whole town that's changed over the years. I got chatting to someone in one of the shops when I was there last and she was saying how all the ammenities (cinema, etc.) have started closing down and more nightclubs springing up. Now the older locals don't really go out in the evening as it's all got a bit too much for them.
This is a right shame as the Newquay I remember from years ago was a really laid back and chilled place. Last time I went there was loads of aggro on the streets and a generally menacing atmosphere which put me right off.
As I said, this wasn't on a RTTS weekend, so the change in the show just seems to mirror something that's already happening to the place in general.

My apologies if I've pissed off any Newquay locals, I'm just saying what my mates and I have noticed happening to the place over the years. :group:

Shame really.
:(

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
ginga said:
Early leaver. Didn't hang around for the week's free camping!! :)

We did RTTS for many years, when it was a small-ish Rod and Custom cruise and Show 'n' Shine and not much entertainment, through the "VW show" years and all the way up to a massive 'festival' at an undersized venue with poor access, oh, and some cars somewhere. They don't even have the cruise that named the event anymore...

Ah, the good ol' days when there were so many cars in the cruise that we filled entire service stations and cars had to park on the hard shoulder.

So, wankers, theft, damage, heavy handed policing, poor weather have all contributed to us no longer going.

My sister lives 30 minutes from Newquay and she can't be arsed to go up for the day anymore - "too many wankers in hot hatches driving like twats" was how she put it. :(
Yep i left last night but for safety reasons ;) I was going to be leaving early this morning anyway to miss the traffic!
Unfortunatly i have to be back at work Tommorrow otherwise i would have stayed untill friday!

Wish i was there in the good old days !

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
frizzer said:
I haven't been for the last few years but I wouldn't rule out going again in the future. The first time I went was in '91 and had a great time (despite massive sun burn and getting sick from swallowing something dodgy while surfing!) and then I pretty much went every year until a few years back.
I can see people's arguments that it's changed and all that but from what I've seen on various trips to Newquay (both on RTTS and other times) it's not so much the event as the whole town that's changed over the years. I got chatting to someone in one of the shops when I was there last and she was saying how all the ammenities (cinema, etc.) have started closing down and more nightclubs springing up. Now the older locals don't really go out in the evening as it's all got a bit too much for them.
This is a right shame as the Newquay I remember from years ago was a really laid back and chilled place. Last time I went there was loads of aggro on the streets and a generally menacing atmosphere which put me right off.
As I said, this wasn't on a RTTS weekend, so the change in the show just seems to mirror something that's already happening to the place in general.

My apologies if I've pissed off any Newquay locals, I'm just saying what my mates and I have noticed happening to the place over the years. :group:

Shame really.
I think that you have hit the nail on the head there mate!
Unfortunatley this seems to be happening everywhere so all teenagers have to do, is hang around in groups drinking and causing a menace because there is nowhere else for them to go or do!! :(

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
frizzer said:

Shame really.
As a Newquay local can I say that you haven't offended me and your view is shared by many. The problem with RTTS is that it has been hi-jacked and turned into a money making machine for one company. Originally as has been expressed already it started as a cruise and brought together many like minded enthusiasts from all over who chilled out with a few beers and enjoyed the company. Now we have Trevelgue, I don't need to go, just open the windows the music is free and it's this that has fuelled a lot of the local resentment to RTTS for all the wrong reasons. We like to see the cars and the unofficial cruise but as someone said unfortunately it has necessitated in some heavy policing to contain the idiots.

I work in the tourist industry and have noticed that this year there are just as many VW's as in the past, it's just that now many have moved a little further out of Newquay and as the are more spread out there just seems to be less of them, we've certainly had more on the site I work on this year, than ever before but then we are some 7-8 miles from Trevelgue and 4 miles from Newquay.

Come and enjoy RTTS in your own terms and hopefully it will evolve into something that will please more people. :group:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Clarkson46 said:
As a Newquay local can I say that you haven't offended me and your view is shared by many. The problem with RTTS is that it has been hi-jacked and turned into a money making machine for one company. Originally as has been expressed already it started as a cruise and brought together many like minded enthusiasts from all over who chilled out with a few beers and enjoyed the company. Now we have Trevelgue, I don't need to go, just open the windows the music is free and it's this that has fuelled a lot of the local resentment to RTTS for all the wrong reasons. We like to see the cars and the unofficial cruise but as someone said unfortunately it has necessitated in some heavy policing to contain the idiots.

I work in the tourist industry and have noticed that this year there are just as many VW's as in the past, it's just that now many have moved a little further out of Newquay and as the are more spread out there just seems to be less of them, we've certainly had more on the site I work on this year, than ever before but then we are some 7-8 miles from Trevelgue and 4 miles from Newquay.

Come and enjoy RTTS in your own terms and hopefully it will evolve into something that will please more people. :group:
PS Sorry about the weather, but it is sunny Cornwall.

·
Registered
612 Posts
good thread kevin and i totaly agree with what you are saying about people moaning is putting alot of new dubbers off.
i must admit i have had a moan in the past but have now seen the error of my ways ! :D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Didn't notice that there was slagging off on here till after RTTS started, I didn't go because of the price!
I've always heard it was the big VW event of the year, from people who live in Devon, and I'm guessing there are thousands of cars that go down for it. Maybe someone should start a RTTS Fringe Festival ;)

EDIT: Yes I read the thread that explained that it was never billed as a VW event.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Dub Nest said:
good thread kevin and i totaly agree with what you are saying about people moaning is putting alot of new dubbers off.
i must admit i have had a moan in the past but have now seen the error of my ways ! :D
Why thank you! :D
I am not totally against moaning myself ;)
After all i am moaning about the moaners!!!!!!!! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
benandchris said:
Didn't notice that there was slagging off on here till after RTTS started
When i had decided that i was going to finally go to RTTS this year (after not being able to since i first got my bug 5 years ago)

I searched on Vzi for information about it! all i found was people slagging it off & saying dont go or go but stay somewhere else!
:eek: :(

I read all of this and changed my mind about going! :(
Then i thought bollocks to it i have got to go and find out for myself :)
Bloody glad i did because i had a fucking great time! :D

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think what is happening now for a large majority of VW people ....[who used to go to trevelgue in the good ol days] is that we still want to go that weekend and claim it as ours...and see hundreds of other dubs buzzing about.
but now most of us are filling up all the other [much better campsites] and doing our own thing.
Porth Tourist...[which we were in] was 80% vw...and a great chilled vibe...Trevella had loads of dubs...as did Hendra, Watergate Bay and many others I'm sure.

Let Trevelgue keep the clio, nova brigade ...at least we know where they are..RTTS is about being in Newquay with loads of other vw's that weekend with surf, good company and usually a bit of sun :rolleyes:

·
Banned
103 Posts
Sadly, it seems far easier and more self satisfactory for people to moan about life.

It's seldom that you'll hear how wonderful a show/event is as the pesimist seems to have more keyboard skills than the optimist.

I wonder if that says something about the poster?

To roll out the age old adage, an event is what YOU make it, and the seasoned favourite: you can't please all the people all the time.

What is it about attending a car show (or any other event) that negates you from any responsibility to amuse yourself? Just because you pay an entrance fee, that doesn't mean that you leave all personal responsibility at the gate expecting contentment fulfilment from your host until you leave.

Life's what you make it. Don't rely on anyone to do it for you.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Bea said:
Sadly, it seems far easier and more self satisfactory for people to moan about life.

It's seldom that you'll hear how wonderful a show/event is as the pesimist seems to have more keyboard skills than the optimist.

I wonder if that says something about the poster?

To roll out the age old adage, an event is what YOU make it, and the seasoned favourite: you can't please all the people all the time.

What is it about attending a car show (or any other event) that negates you from any responsibility to amuse yourself? Just because you pay an entrance fee, that doesn't mean that you leave all personal responsibility at the gate expecting contentment fulfilment from your host until you leave.

Life's what you make it. Don't rely on anyone to do it for you.
Well said! ;)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Squirrelsport said:
i stopped going for a valid reason ... i had a lot of damage done to me splitty down there ... some twat hit both mirrors of and another one chucked a water bomb at the front ... only to find out when i got back to the camp site it had stones and paint stripper in !!!
Thats terrible! :(
i wouldnt go again either if that had happened to me or anyone else i knew!
Water pistols were banned from the site this year and i only saw
a couple of young kids throwing water bombs! :rolleyes:
Hope you got your Splitty sorted :hangloose

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
i dont listen to the moaners, i went once, but got a bit put off by the price, but this year i couldnt go as i had a prior engagement, the weather looked terrible, which is a real shame, but im sure a lot of people had a good time

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Kev,

Got back from RTTS yesterday. Glad U enjoyed it, and it was good to meet you and Bob.

All I can add to this thread really, is that it is what u make of it. As others have said already. Apart from that, I had an amazing time (apart from the rain :mad: ). Met up with some great people, and had it large in the main arena.

Bring on next year.

P.S. just noticed another thread with piccys on it. Love the 1 of Ants Bug. :D

R U goin to Stonor Park??

Hang Loose my friend :hangloose

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
mattherat said:
i dont listen to the moaners, i went once, but got a bit put off by the price, but this year i couldnt go as i had a prior engagement, the weather looked terrible, which is a real shame, but im sure a lot of people had a good time
I agree it is a bit pricey! :( but the price does include all entertainment on site!
(Have i mentioned that the live bands & comedians were great! :D ;) )
And you can also stay there until the following friday for no extra charge! (bloody hell i'm starting to sound like an advert for Trevelgue...........Sorry)
Unfortunately i couldnt due to work commitments :( :rolleyes:

I'm glad you dont listen to the moaners :hangloose

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.