Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just bought a 71 Californian import which is totally rust free. She has been resprayed in the not so distant past and it has been suggested to that we should have her underwaxed (you'll have to excuse me if I'm using the incorrect terminology!).

Since then, someone else has mentionned that this can be inadvisable and said that some people say its best not to.

Any insight you can add to this query would be much appreciated!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Yes, yes, and again, Yes, get her fully treated with Waxoil, injected into all the cavities and sprayed liberally all over the underside.
Cars from warm dry climates have almost no protection from our weather and the corrosive rock salt we pour on the roads all winter, so the cars disintedrate at a frightening rate when they come here.
Finnegans Waxoil is relatively cheap and clean to apply, (if you get the original clear stuff), you can do it yourself too.
Do avoid the Bitumen type "underseal" products, they can do more harm than good, as they dry out, crack, then retain moisture and assist rapid corrosion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers - thought as much

When you mention the bitumen underseal is that a black substance? The guy that mentioned it said that you can either get it done with a clear waxlike product which lasts for about a year or, for about the same price, with a black seal. Does this sound about right?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Bitumen underseal is always black, and thick like tar.
Waxoil is available in 'clear' (it's kind of beige oil colour), or with Black colour added.
The clear is easier to spray, I use the Black only under the wheel arches, but spread it on thick. It stays fairly soft, so in those high abrasion areas like wheel arches, it does need re-applying every now and then.
The important bits are the cavities, like the sills and chassis rails and outriggers, but with clear waxoil inside them, they will last for many years, as the wax can't wear off on the inside, and that's where rust usually starts, and does the most damage.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just so I'm 100% sure what you mean Laurence: you use the spray on stuff underneath and in the wheel arches as well as in the cavities, and avoid the thick underbody seal stuff altogether?

The leaflet I picked up in Halfords a week or two ago suggests "Waxoyl" for spraying in cavities and "Underbody Seal with added Waxoyl" for "high impact areas".

I'm not keen on that idea of using the thick stuff because I don't like the idea of applying something that prevents me from being able to see if the metal underneath is in good condition or going rotten.

Have I understood you correctly?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Do it!

Waxoyl is king! Those who say not to are fools!

Not a mark on the floorpan of my Bug due to that amazing stuff!

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
LuAn said:
Just so I'm 100% sure what you mean Laurence: you use ...... or going rotten.

Have I understood you correctly?
Never ever use the bitumen type underseal.
Not in this lifetime nor in the next.

As said above - Spray waxoyl into the cavities. Unless your car is a trailer queen - this is the default.

If your car gets used only in summer and lives in a warm garage like mine doing the general surfaces under the wings is not strictly necessary.
If mine gets wet it is put into dry warm garage with fans to blow away all the nasty moisture. So it does depend where you keep it and is usage pattern.

·
Registered
380 Posts
No garage for mine. It's going to have to live on the drive at the side of the house. However I still don't like the idea of thick black coatings that will prevent me from seeing what's happening to the metal.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
LuAn said:
No garage for mine. It's going to have to live on the drive at the side of the house. However I still don't like the idea of thick black coatings that will prevent me from seeing what's happening to the metal.
Just use the Clear waxoil all over then, it just looks a bit messy under the wings, but does the same job. Re-apply every so often. ;)

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
just to reinforce the above advice, avoid underseal or bitument. The moisture gets underneath and it rots away behind the bitumen. This used to keep me in business when I welded old cars up for a living :D
Use Waxoyle or Dinitrol, both much the same, waxoyle easier to get hold of usually. Don't buy the spray tins, buy the 5litre tub and if you don't have a compressor, you can buy the pressurised spray system to apply it. The spray system is fine if you dunk the 5litre tin in a bucket of hot water to keep the waxoyle liquid (it is wax!)
Heres a pic of my landrover chassis with the black waxoyle on it. Note the mess on the floor...you will be the same colour when your finished :D

Its excellent stuff and well worth the effort. The clear ones just as good, but I prefer the black one (well on a Landy anyway).

Jas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts