Volkszone Forum banner

Today I shall be mostly rocking vintage tech!

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Passion 4 
#1 ·

…and it still works just fine even today!

I did upgraded it somewhat mind you lol.

First off, I have replaced the standard 4GB HDD it so that it now has 2x 8.5GB HDD, one as the main start-up hard drive, the other as a blank storage/shared drive option.

Next up, I have upgraded the standard ram from 64MB to 448MB, as you can never have enough RAM, especially in Photoshop, but the RAM makes working with multiple applications/files so much easier.

I have also added an additional PCI card, the Adaptec PowerDomain 2940UW to be precise. What good is a fast computer if the I/O subsystem can't keep up with data-hungry applications? When high-speed I/O matters, the Adaptec PowerDomain 2940UW UltraSCSI accelerator delivers. It provides a high-performance, flexible I/O subsystem for publishing, prepress, digital video, multimedia, and other data- and graphics-intensive applications, the perfect match for the processing muscle of the Power Macintosh with PCI. This card supports SCSI-1, SCSI-2 and SCSI-3 (Ultra).

Finally, and in many ways, most importantly, I also upgraded/replaced the original 350 MHz PowerPC 604e "Mach 5" processor, with a the Newer MAXpowr G4 450/225 features a 450 MHz PowerPC 7400 (G4) processor with the AltiVec "Velocity Engine" vector processing unit and 1 MB of backside cache. The card plugs into the daughtercard slot, replacing the original daughtercard. All cards in the Newer MAXpowr G4 series ship with a software-based control panel to adjust the backside bus speed and ratio for optimum performance.

Vintage tech rocks!! :lol:

See less See more
#12 ·
Todays cutting edge vintage tech is my trusty old Casio FX-39 calculator! This is the only calculator I have ever owned since before doing my O levels at school… and it still works perfectly, unlike it's operator! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.