Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any special tools I would need if I was replacing the king and link pins on my bug?
Also any reasons why I would need said tools?

please and thank you

:hangloose

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
A 5 tonne press, because you can get them out using your arms/a vice/a hammer/hypnotism/prayer etc etc

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
I changed the linkpin bushes myself, using an old worn one as a drift to drive the fitted ones out and the new ones in. I was going to replace the kings while I was at it, but just replacing the link bushes cured the free play. But as JAN said, the kingpin bushes need a few tonnes of force to push them in & out

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
justbuggin said:
I changed the linkpin bushes myself, using an old worn one as a drift to drive the fitted ones out and the new ones in. I was going to replace the kings while I was at it, but just replacing the link bushes cured the free play. But as JAN said, the kingpin bushes need a few tonnes of force to push them in & out
Get a bigger hammer....they'll come out ;)

tom.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
ragtop59 said:
so not the easiest do it yoursel at home job then?
bugger
No, but you can do the link pins with a socket and a decent vice, you could take them to a local engineering shop to have the king pins pressed out, then press in the new king pin bushes with vice & socket, then have them reamed and the new king pins pressed back in.

If you do them yourself, bear these points in mind.

Ream king pin bushes with an expanding reamer, not a fixed reamer.
Only use standard lithium grease to grease it all up with afterwards. Do not use Moly grease (CV joint grease). I did this thinking it would be better grease than the lithium stuff, but I was dead wrong. Got about 2 years out of them before they needed re-doing.

My recomendation, box them all up and send them to Peter at Cogbox to do the job. He did a cracking job on mine.

Dave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts