Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who will be going?

Friday 6 July, the start of the Tour will be marked with an opening ceremony in London's Trafalgar Square when the teams and their riders will be presented to the crowds

Saturday 7 July, the Tour will open with a Prologue Time Trial to decide which cyclist will wear the famous yellow jersey on the first day of racing.

Sunday 8th July the race leaves London for the first road stage, which finishes in Canterbury.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/roa/road_tour_de_france_home.asp

I'll be going up for the prologue on Saturday then taking train down to Tunbridge Wells to stay there overnight ready for the race to come through there on Sunday.

:)

Stage one of the King of the Mountains is on a hill outside Tonbridge.

·
snide twat
39,981 Posts
pointless reply, but I can repost my first ever b3ta frontpage image :)

to ease traffic congestion, this years tour de france was run underground ...

from way back in 2002 :D

as you were people :)

·
Registered
78,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iain_M said:
I'll be going to the opening ceremony, maybe doing the prologue too not sure yet.
cool... I think Hyde Park will be a good place to watch prologue

I might try and make opening ceremony too... not sure what time it is... do you know?

·
Registered
78,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Predator said:
Most of Maidstone will be closed off for the day so it can come through, might wander down and take a look, won't be able to get anywhere else from what i can tell! Saw it last time it came through as well....
I couldn't go last time it was in the UK.

but this time my last commitment before summer break is july 6th... so I will be there with bells on

mind you... the route they're coming out of London most of them will have their bikes nicked before they get to you :D

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
peelo said:
cool... I think Hyde Park will be a good place to watch prologue

I might try and make opening ceremony too... not sure what time it is... do you know?
If I do go to the Prologue, I'll probably start of at the start then try and get over to somewhere around Constitution hill area.

6PM I seem to remember, I'd get there early tho' I think it might get a bit busy.

·
Registered
78,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Iain_M said:
6PM I seem to remember, I'd get there early tho' I think it might get a bit busy.
umm will be a bit tight for me... I finish my last day of summer clinic that day... can get to Charing Cross in under an hour though... 6.00pm is mad time to have something on a Friday in london :eek:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'll be at the prologue. Any ideas on spectator organisation or is it every man for himself? I don't want to watch it from the first floor of House of Fraser if I can help it. :D

·
Registered
78,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thegavster said:
When was it last in the UK? Just a passing stage I assume?

It is every man for himself, I think we'll have similar crowds if not more than in France in which case get there several hours before the race and prepare not to move if you want to see anything. It's a great party atmosphere but will be rammed.

gav
not sure exactly what the route through Tunbridge Wells is but my mates flat overlooks one of the main bits... and I will be going down the night before so we can whoop it up and then be there for the pre race bits

so yeah I'm going more for atmos. than to really see racing :D

last time it was here I think was around 1994?

·
Registered
78,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Richardy said:
I'll be at the prologue. Any ideas on spectator organisation or is it every man for himself? I don't want to watch it from the first floor of House of Fraser if I can help it. :D
I know it's going down round the Serpantine so Hyde Park has got to be the best bet... lots of changes in level there so grassy knolls and tree to climb etc :D

I'm going to go to South Ken. tube and walk to Hyde Park so as to come in from the opposite end to the majority.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
me and a load of mates are going - been looking forward to it for bloomin ages :D
if you get the cycling bug the Tour of Britain is back in London in Sept. Some top riders usually compete so always worth going :)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
can't get in or out of my road for 8 hours on sunday, so i'll walk the 20 mtrs to watch it i guess.

spose i could set a beetle alight on my drive again just as they go past and get some tv coverage :)

regards stodge

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
Richardy said:
I as there, was mostly stood on south carriage drive as there was plenty of room. Great day! :D
When I walked past House of Fraser I wonderd if you'd ended up watching it from there :lol:

I know what you mean kerry W about stewarding, I found the police (both French and the British) to be fine but 'renta cop' had little idea.

Great day tho' :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.