Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm thinking about towing my long term project car to a local garage I know it's not the best way but I'm on a tight budget was thinking of using a tow pole as the bug has no breaks obviously someone would need to steer it it also doesn't have rear wings or lights fitted is this legal to do next option would be a a frame but would a lot more expensive and would require me to fit a towbar and wire in trailer board to my daily.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I think towing and A-frame are 'emergency only', like recovering a breakdown. I don't think you can just tow a non-road-legal car.

Outside of the 'emergency' scenario, with an a-frame your car technically becomes a trailer so needs to weigh less than 750kg or it needs to be braked.

In terms of costs, I think I paid <£40 to get my beetle project moved 15 miles to my house on a recovery truck a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
13,208 Posts
Can't tow with a bar without brakes. If you've not got a towbar or have a mate who does you'd be better off looking at getting someone to move it for you - or the garage themselves. A frames are supposed to be for recovering a broken down car, but in reality people have been using them for years without issues - if you're sensible about it you tend to be ignored (there's alway the risk though).

·
Premium Member
9,104 Posts
All of the above, you can't legally Tow it, by any means, unless the project car is already road legal, but just 'broken-down'.
Your only options are : put it on a proper trailer and tow that yourself, or : get a recovery vehicle to move it.
I've been lucky and have been able to borrow a trailer to move a few projects around, locally.
Compare cost of Recovery and Renting a trailer for a day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts