Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad used to own one before i was born? 1977

I have looked on the net but not to happy with what i found picture wise.

Does anyone know anything about them. His was a 2.0L twin carb?

Does that sound right.

My dads not alive now so i can ask im.

EDIT - I Forgot about wikipedia....

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,331 Posts
Vitesse was basicly a Herald with a 6 cylinder engine twin headlights and a couple of other doodads that i cant remember.
I think they were about 2 litres

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vitesse was basicly a Herald with a 6 cylinder engine twin headlights and a couple of other doodads that i cant remember.
I think they were about 2 litres
im not sure whats happened but i looked on the web a little while ago and there were almost no pics that i could find.

Just looked and its flooded with them.

Were they any good mark?

·
26,331 Posts
im not sure whats happened but i looked on the web a little while ago and there were almost no pics that i could find.

Just looked and its flooded with them.

Were they any good mark?
Hmmm depends who you ask, As far as im aware they were a bit iffy on the handling and they were a bit front end heavy.
I think thre was a problem with the rear suspension set up where they were a bit prone to tucking a wheel under and swapping ends (That might just be the heralds tho)
They are a bit like mecanno and you can unbolt everything from the Chassis and you can change the clutch by removing the transmission tunnel.
Flip fronts so you can work on the engine while sitting on the front wheel.

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok... he used to rave about it bless him.

He brought me a vauxhall viva for my 1st car. He loved his classics ha haaaa

·
Registered
787 Posts
I had one when I was 17 (1976)..the most common was a 2 litre but ive a niggling feeling there was a 1600 as well:confused:

Generally considered at the time to be 'too much engine' in a flexible Herald chassis/body.

Think they were independant suspension and dics all round..sounded nice...also had an 'overdrive' button on the gear lever..

...'bout all I can remember;)

·
Registered
26,995 Posts
I had one when I was 17 (1976)..the most common was a 2 litre but ive a niggling feeling there was a 1600 as well:confused:

Generally considered at the time to be 'too much engine' in a flexible Herald chassis/body.

Think they were independant suspension and dics all round..sounded nice...also had an 'overdrive' button on the gear lever..

...'bout all I can remember;)
early ones were 1600 six cylinder ;)

·
Registered
787 Posts
early ones were 1600 six cylinder ;)
Vittesse's had aluminium bumpers as opposed to white rubber ones as found on Heralds (had one of those as well:rolleyes:)and slightly different over riders(i think) and a rev counter..I think the carbs were strombergs..they were renowned for having one of the tightest turning circles of the day..there were 3 body styles,saloon,a fast-back coupe jobby and a convertible.The herald was available as an estate as well...

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
The early were 1600L, 6 cylinder, later ones 2000L, 6 cylinder.
The very late ones had rotoflex couplings on the rear, these give the best handling.

I used to thrash about in Robbie Coltrane's old convertible one.:D

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
What he said.

You can tell early ones from late ones by the grill.

The one up there looks to be a Mk1 1600.

The 2.5 Triumph engine will fit,from the big Triumph saloons.

Rotoflex rear end can be retrofitted and helps calm the rear end.

RALPH

·
15,981 Posts
there were 3 body styles,saloon,a fast-back coupe jobby and a convertible.The herald was available as an estate as well...
Don´t think there ever was a Vitesse coupe. Those are quite rare and only ever available as an early Herald IIRC. I´m prepared to be corrected though!

The suspension problems were pretty much solved by the time the Vitesse Mk2 2litre came out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used to drive a Herald 13/60 convertible that I restored with my own fair hands as a daily driver for years. The 13/60 is the smaller cousin to the Vitesse - basically similar looking to a Vitesse but with one headlight instead of two and a 4 cylinder engine not the 6

It was very tuned and still holds my personal record for London to Birmingham (about an hour and a half). It ran with a modded 1500 spitfire engine (same basic engine as the standard 1300 normally fitted - just longer stroke) and an overdrive (not normally fitted to 13/60's). Always regretted selling the car (I part ex'd it for my Lancia Integrale), was one of my all time fave cars.

It was LOT of fun, BUT you need to sort out the handling otherwise they are DANGEROUS. They have a transverse rear spring - same as all Triumphs of this era - Herald, Spitfire, GT6, Vitesse, which meant that under hard cornering the rear wheels tuck under. I modded mine by fitting the Spitfire rear diff and spring hanger (a big improvement), but there was still lots of room for improvement. There's probably a bunch of stuff you can buy now days - but back then there was little in the way of aftermarket suspension goodies. The front steering also runs on trunions - which if not looked after can seize and snap disconnecting the bottom of the front wheel (a very hairy experience indeed).

Things to look for - chassis outriggers and side rails always rot out - rear diffs wear out (they get noisy so are easy to spot), boot rots out as does bonnet. overdrive models are more desirable, as are wire wheels - but check overdrive works (should only engage in third and top gear), and check wires for creaks (drive forwards / back slowly and listen). Convertibles are best and are a good looking car with the top down, although coupe's are probably rarest. You can unbolt the roof from a saloon and turn it into a temporary convertible but the body is physically different and so you cannot fit a convertible hood frame.

All models suffer from twist on cornering - convertibles are worst - there are hooks fitted to the doors to stop them from flying open round corners (it's true - I nearly lost my mate once - not realizing a hook was missing form my car) - basic problem is that the body is in 3 parts - the flip front + rear tub + windscreen / bulkhead / doors. These tend to move around (hence doors flying open) but this also means that generally panel fit is shocking (check door gaps front and rear).

I could go on for hours - LOL

If you are in the south east there is a guy out Colchester way who has a massive barn full of spares - think he is called Triumph Spares from memory - used to advertise in practical classics. Then there is the Triumph Sports Six club - have regular magazines with spares / etc in there. Practical Classics also restored one many moons ago and have a book available of the build.

...and now my fingers are tired......

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don´t think there ever was a Vitesse coupe. Those are quite rare and only ever available as an early Herald IIRC. I´m prepared to be corrected though!

The suspension problems were pretty much solved by the time the Vitesse Mk2 2litre came out.
Might be right with coupe roof only on Herald models. The rarest one is the courier - a panel van version.

Mk2 2 litres had same / similar setup to the 1500 spitfires for the rear spring (it pivots instead of being solidly mounted). Rotaflex couplings also suffered from fatigue - so be sure to check these too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts