Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1966cc LP built motor, which I'm really wanting to fit a megasquirt setup too mainly cause I want to learn about fuel injection systems and it will keep me amused for ages being able to plug the van into my laptop.... :crazy:

Anyway having looked at fitting the megasquirt setup I also quite fancy having a go at the turbo route too, so a couple of questions if anyone can answer for me would be great:

I want to go for the turbo under the back valance outside the engine bay (blow-through?)

1: Am I better getting the megasquirt system setup first then adding a turbo and retuning? Or the whole lot at once so only needs one setup?

2: I have a 1.6TD turbo of a T25 which worked well. Would this be any good for what I'm doing?

3: Would a Subaru impreza intercooler be ok for blow-through? Looking at pictures it appears to be.. Would add ducting from the fan housing then try and duct it down the heat exchanger (rhs of engine)

4: Was thinking impreza throttle body and injector setup too as engine has a similar layout? may be able to modify to fit, or at least use some parts?

5: What size pipework should I use? Or does that depend on the size of the throttle body?

6: Any other things I should consider? I'm guessing a larger external oil cooler with a fan might be a good idea..

7: Where can I get a copy of turbomania, can only find it on US sites?

Thanks for any help and/or advice
Stu

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
alright mate,
im by no means an expert, as rich jones has basically sorted my build out with me.. but i have a type1 engine with megasquirt and turbo so ill try 2 answer your questions:

1: Am I better getting the megasquirt system setup first then adding a turbo and retuning? Or the whole lot at once so only needs one setup?
A) i planned to get the motor running with megasquirt first, then get rid of the dizzy and have megasquirt controll spark, then when that was sorted, add the turbo and re-tune it... but in the end i just did it all together... its up to you i guess

2: I have a 1.6TD turbo of a T25 which worked well. Would this be any good for what I'm doing?
A) id imagine its too small, as its off a diesel engine, and a little diesel engine at that... my engine is similar size to yours, 1955cc and iv used a turbo from a wrx scoobie - mitsubishi TD04, which aint 2 expensive.

3: Would a Subaru impreza intercooler be ok for blow-through? Looking at pictures it appears to be.. Would add ducting from the fan housing then try and duct it down the heat exchanger (rhs of engine)
A) intercooler should be ok - not sure what you mean about ducting but you would prob be best trying to duct some fresh air from under the van or something to the intercooler... but u dont NEED to fit an intercooler, i havent.

4: Was thinking impreza throttle body and injector setup too as engine has a similar layout? may be able to modify to fit, or at least use some parts?
A) I dunno what the throttle body is like on a impreza... i used a 52mm throttle body from a ford because it was simple and cheap... my injectors are the green bosch ones from a cosworth, id imagine u will need something the same sort of size

5: What size pipework should I use? Or does that depend on the size of the throttle body?
A) go 2 www.shoptalkforums.com and look in fuel injection section and research plenums...

6: Any other things I should consider? I'm guessing a larger external oil cooler with a fan might be a good idea..
A) you will need an oil supply to the turbo, and an oil return to the case. fuel injection fuel pump and pressure regulator...

7: Where can I get a copy of turbomania, can only find it on US sites?
A) dunno

hope that helps
mabbo

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I just got my Turbomania book (and the DellíOrto Superformance Tech Book) from VW Collectibles

web site is VW Collectables
But the site is very out of date But the contact number is on the site and they are very helpful and quite quick to deliver

:hangloose

·
Superhero
5,653 Posts
plan it all in advance if you can.
Subaru TB should be plenty big enough , also the injectors. Turbo outlet is likely to be 1 1/2 to 2 inches so get pipework somewhere between that and the TB size. My pipes are now 2 1/4 as the turbo is 2" and TB is about 2 1/2.

You can be building the MS while you plan the rest - that way you'll learn loads about it and understand it better when building it up. My MS was actually the first thing I bought for my engine, about a year before I got it running.

My inlet is DIY pipework onto top of CB IDF injeftion manifolds. Mabbo used stock style CB injection end castings which work well.

I doubt the diesel turbo will be big enough. As a guide my TD05 subaru turbo was about 5" across the compressor, my new turbo is about 6 1/2 for a 2276. check out ebay for TD04 or TD05, T3 sized turbos. My new one is T3/To4 hybrid.

All intercooler should be OK for blow through, as the turbo always blows through. How much boost one stands up to is another matter. I'm just fitting a massive intercooler off a Citroen BX, but I have doubts whether it'll take much boost.

Megasquirt is a great project if you're prepared to work at it and I loved every minute of it :) Just upgraded to MS2 and waiting for the boost control code to be written.

don't expect it to be too cheap - you still have to buy stuff. But a lot less than a new IDF setup.

Have fun, and shout up if you need to :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies :D

Since im looking for subaru parts will try and see if i can get a turbo off one too.. There are a few ads in the local free ads paper for subaru bits, I assume of people upgrading them and they seem quite cheep, so if they work out no good for me can punt them on again on ebay...

Realised that I need to research wastegates (I think :lol: ) before i start getting bits, from reading a few subaru forums and sites, they seem to be external wastegate so i guess i'd need a turbo to match? or do the turbos just have provision for wastegate meaning you don't have to use it? Also mind reading something about the wastegate came off the intercooler on imprezas, but that could just be my mind playing tricks...

Oh and where did you get your megasquirt? The ones I have seen in the UK appear to be built up kits, do I want this? I thought you could get ones to make up yourself, is this right?

Thanks again
Stu

·
Superhero
5,653 Posts
the subaru turbo I used had internal wastegate.

www.glensgarage.com supplied my kit without problems. Bill Shurvinton is a UK stockist and he can supply kits or built (google him)
You can do kit or ready built, doesn't matter. The kit will take 4 or 5 hours soldering to build up.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1964_Sunroof_Bug said:
or you can order a fully built up megasquirt off me and i could also supply you a loom.

i supplied Mabbo all off his kit :)
Sent you a pm

Will probably go for the megasquirt2 v3.0, thinking that i might as well go for the latest available so I will be able to add the newest features to it etc. at a later date?

Not sure to go with built or not now, originally thought i would like to build it myself, so I can see how it works etc, but thinking back to airfix models.... all perfect till one piece gets a huge blob of glue spilling over the rest, so throw it across the room :rolleyes: :crazy:

Stu

·
Registered
136 Posts
cool stuff, i have also been thinking about this, but i am building only a stock 1600....

Plan was to use the OEM German FI throttle body setup

I want to run distributorless, i already had a Berg pulley machined by John Maher last time and also got a custom made bracket for the crank pickup sensor also by John.

I heard the MS2 is not fully developed yet and was told to stick with MS1...any truth in this?

thinking of using MS1 version 3 and the ignition coil driver for the coil pack.....

i have a pair of Jenvey 45s which i got from John as well, but putting these on a 1600 would a big waste, plus i am not sure how to plumb the MAP on dual throttle bodies

·
Registered
20,316 Posts
I'd be quite interested to see what you guy's end up with, i've done fair bit of reading on the MS as i'm quite interested in it for when i actually have a car but a lot of the threads i've seen across various forums seem to gloss over some of the finer details, throttle boddies rarley get more of a mention than "I have one, this is how i bolted it on!", throttle position sensors are rarley mentions as o2 sensors!

At the moment however im at the stage of learning to drive but quite early on i've decided I wanted a beetle (I can't bare the thought of owning a boring modern car, they all look the same! :D) which lead me to do some research, the problem is, I tend to research quite heavily so now I have "the list" of things id like to do once i've passed my test and got a car (6-12 month "i might wrap it around a lamp post" period first hower) and a MS install is qite high on the list :D

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
pupjoint said:
cool stuff, i have also been thinking about this, but i am building only a stock 1600....

Plan was to use the OEM German FI throttle body setup

I want to run distributorless, i already had a Berg pulley machined by John Maher last time and also got a custom made bracket for the crank pickup sensor also by John.

I heard the MS2 is not fully developed yet and was told to stick with MS1...any truth in this?

thinking of using MS1 version 3 and the ignition coil driver for the coil pack.....

i have a pair of Jenvey 45s which i got from John as well, but putting these on a 1600 would a big waste, plus i am not sure how to plumb the MAP on dual throttle bodies
Thinking of going megasquirt on a 2Litre type 4...was thinking about getting a pulley with eddis wheel machined into it. Hhow much did it cost to get John to modify the Berg pulley?

Would like to use twin throttle bodies like the Jenveys. What stud pattern do they have?

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
20,316 Posts
Id be *really* interested to see how you get on doing this on a type 4!

As for pulleys, i know boost engineering sell a scat pulley pre-fitted with the 36-1 wheel, it is meant for a type 1 engine but it might work out more cost effective to redrill one of those than to start from scratch, they also sell a good deal of the edis hardware and a rather neat little blockoff plug for the distributor hole! :)

http://home.earthlink.net/~beanbooger/boost_engineering/

·
Registered
136 Posts
dan, i cant really remember as i got it done in 2002. i sent John my pulley and asked him to machine it and at the same time bought a sensor and got John to machine the holder for the sensor. if i am not mistaken, he charged me about 40 quid for labour that time just for the pulley alone.......need to check back my receipts to confirm

i got the bodies from him at the same time complete with fuel rails

It doesn't really have to be a Berg pulley, i have seen many other setup that uses just a trigger wheel bolted onto the stock pulley but you have to make an adapter to position the sensor accordingly.

Mine are the 45mm TF series, bolt patter same as DRLA and IDF, same unit as found in Richard Webb's old NA motor before he went turbo. www.jenvey.co.uk

if you can afford it, i would suggest forget about the Berg pulley and get the Fisher Damper.

miggy, we are considered slow, there are quite a few who has been running the MS rather successfully, i think Darren Krevenchuk of DVKK has been using these also with 48mm Jenvey throttle bodies since 2004..check out the MS discussion forum http://www.msruns.com/index.php

in fact i first came to know about MS way back in 2001 in the old cal look. com forum but back then only 1 or 2 guys were running it and that time they only had fuel only no ignition.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
pupjoint said:
dan, i cant really remember as i got it done in 2002. i sent John my pulley and asked him to machine it and at the same time bought a sensor and got John to machine the holder for the sensor. if i am not mistaken, he charged me about 40 quid for labour that time just for the pulley alone.......need to check back my receipts to confirm

i got the bodies from him at the same time complete with fuel rails

It doesn't really have to be a Berg pulley, i have seen many other setup that uses just a trigger wheel bolted onto the stock pulley but you have to make an adapter to position the sensor accordingly.

Mine are the 45mm TF series, bolt patter same as DRLA and IDF, same unit as found in Richard Webb's old NA motor before he went turbo. www.jenvey.co.uk

if you can afford it, i would suggest forget about the Berg pulley and get the Fisher Damper.
Yeah, I have seen the eddis wheels mounted on other pulleys. I may go this way myself, since I will be needing a steel type 4 upright pulley to start with, and I haven't seen many of them! I could start from scratch or I could bolt / rivet an eddis wheel to what I already have, and make the sensor mount myself. I thi the pulley may sit a litlt efurhther away than on a Type 1 since there hub mountig the crank to the pulley.
Do your Jenvyies have a TPS? i think something tlike what you have maybe perfect for my needs. I was going to use stripped out IDFs with a TPS fitted, but purpose made throttle bodies would be much niced!. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
no, i din't get the TPS, but this shouldn't be much of an issue as jenvey sells them for 40 quidish....

if you want a cheaper route, you can use a single plenum setupp and source it from the junk yards.

if you have links for the other crank trigger wheel setup do let me know.

·
Superhero
5,653 Posts
pupjoint said:
not quite true..

MS2 is complete and has been in production for some time. I'm running it on my beetle. However, the MS2 'extra' code is still in development, but it will always be in development as it's an ongoing project. There is a MS2 extra release currently that works OK. Later releases will be adding nice stuff like nitrous control, boost control and various trigger wheel codes for specific cars. I am currently running MS2 with EDIS control for spark. My trigger wheel is a Ford one and I had a mount made vis Kingfisher Kustoms cost approx £55. It does run noticably smoother than MS1 because of the extra resolution, but you will get very good results with MS1 V3 and VB921 for ignition control.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts