Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend wants to get us a new TV when we move, but with all the options available we're wondering what to go for. She said she'd like to get a big 'un (42"), but is unsure of the picture quality on larger screens?

Plus do we go for LCD, Plasma, rear projection, HD capability...etc??

I have heard that Plasmas are coming down in price due to the fact that the tubes have a limited lifespan (5ish years?), and everyone is now going for HD LCD? I dunno to be honest with you?

Anyone have any recomendations or work in the trade who can provide some insight?

Cheers folks.

:)

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
Plasmas are getting better, but there are still issues with dead pixels. And it is still possible to burn channel idents into the screen. LCDs' seem OK if you look at them straight on, on an angle the screen image is iffy.
A mate who is well into AV seems to think projectors are the way to go. All you need is a big white wall :) .

·
Registered
34,511 Posts
I *heart* my new plasma...42" panasonic viera :D

I`ll try and find the thread on here about it...i did the price match as recommended on between Empire direct and John Lewis saving a few hundred quid and getting the 5yr guarantee!

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
pedro said:
A mate who is well into AV seems to think projectors are the way to go. All you need is a big white wall :) .
I'm with you on this one. £ for £ screen size wise projectors seem much better value for money and the screen quality is really good. Plus I've seen HDTV examples in some electrical shops and I really can't see what all the fuss is about.

Plus it's reckoned it's gonna be a long time before HDTV becomes the norm purely because of TV program budgets. If you think the quality of programs is bad now - how about when it adds an extra 30% to the budget just to shoot the program in HDTV?
Jeremy Clarkson was discussing this with the Top Gear producer and he reckons the only way the program could survive on that budget and maintain it's quality is to cut down on the catering bill and eat James May instead ;)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Also look at DLP rear projection tv's. I have a 52" Toshiba DLP Rear projection and is actually quite slim and the thing only weighs 38kg.

·
Registered
45,845 Posts
dragster172 said:
I *heart* my new plasma...42" panasonic viera :D

I`ll try and find the thread on here about it...i did the price match as recommended on between Empire direct and John Lewis saving a few hundred quid and getting the 5yr guarantee!
my plasma is sound also, but you have 5 inches on me :eek: :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
plasma

i just got a 37 panasonic plasma from hughs 950 pounds brill tv.lcd tv are good but only up to a 32" go any bigger get a plasma... :hangloose

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
I used to be an A/V tech and projectors are only good upto a point.

Fine if you really want a home cinema... but the room has to be fairly dark... okay some of the very modern ones may be better.

And you need more than just a white wall for a perfect picture.

·
Registered
314 Posts
hey dude i have been selling both for the last 5 years. few question to help you decied
Will you play games on it?
will light shine from your window on it?

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
peelo said:
And you need more than just a white wall for a perfect picture.
For a perfect picture, agreed. But how many of us really need a perfect picture?

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
The latest gen LCD's are up with Plasma, the new Sony 40" W series 1080p panel kicks their arse, I've got a 32" V2000 and its the mutts, we got it mainly for space reasons, but the black levels are just amazing, it does need some setting up as the default settings are pure comedy!, most of them will show up a poor freeview/cable picture anyway, so until we all get HD transmissions the picture will be shit on all of them :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
if ther is light on it a plasma will show a reflection and LCD won't.
also if you play a lot of driving games on a plasma it will retain the speedo etc. but it will disappear after time.
don't buy a screen without looking at non HD material as if they have a crap scaler onboard 95% of viewing for the next few years will look cock.

if your gaming sessions are short buy a plasma as it kicks any lcds ass. look at pioneer and pana plasmas and sharp lcds. and go to a small retailer that knows how to set up their screens. instead of currys where they seem to fuck them up
graham

·
Registered
483 Posts
jimbobfredjack said:
if ther is light on it a plasma will show a reflection and LCD won't.
also if you play a lot of driving games on a plasma it will retain the speedo etc. but it will disappear after time.
don't buy a screen without looking at non HD material as if they have a crap scaler onboard 95% of viewing for the next few years will look cock.

if your gaming sessions are short buy a plasma as it kicks any lcds ass. look at pioneer and pana plasmas and sharp lcds. and go to a small retailer that knows how to set up their screens. instead of currys where they seem to fuck them up
graham
You¥ve lost me a bit here mate...but I¥m interested in what you have to say.
I bought a Sony LCD last year which I¥m happy with but now with all the talk about HD coming I¥m a bit gutted. I don¥t think my model is HD ready.....but are you saying this is better for the time being as the HD ready TVs showing normal digital are worse ??

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
outlaw said:
You¥ve lost me a bit here mate...but I¥m interested in what you have to say.
I bought a Sony LCD last year which I¥m happy with but now with all the talk about HD coming I¥m a bit gutted. I don¥t think my model is HD ready.....but are you saying this is better for the time being as the HD ready TVs showing normal digital are worse ??
Basically there is a lack of HD sources at the moment, unless you are going to fork out for the Sky HD which only has a couple of HD channels and sports and a movie channel, or an expensive HD DVD or Blueray player you are stuck with the same stuff as everyone else, and a HD panel won't give you a much better picture, what model is it?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Its a 27" Sony...I¥m at work so I can¥t tell you exactly the model number but I don¥t think its the Wega engine model.
It was about 1100 quid last year if that helps to give any guide lines.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
outlaw said:
Its a 27" Sony...I¥m at work so I can¥t tell you exactly the model number but I don¥t think its the Wega engine model.
It was about 1100 quid last year if that helps to give any guide lines.
Is it this:

KVL 27HR3

If so it has no Component/HDMI/VGA connections so no HD :( although the panel has enough res for 720p

·
Registered
483 Posts
slimboyfat said:
Is it this:

KVL 27HR3

If so it has no Component/HDMI/VGA connections so no HD :( although the panel has enough res for 720p
Thats the one !!! cheers for info and you¥ve put my mind at rest ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts