Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all ,

here is my dilemma.

i have always been a car nut ive had lots of different cars etc bays,t25's,rs turbos,cosworth,jags,splits and motorbikes most never get on the road as i buy em with good intentions spend a load of money then get the idea to get something else and sell before their finished and lose some more money.
for some reason i convince myself thay u can buy something cheap with a few problems and sort them out for less than buying one thats already done(will i ever learn :rolleyes: ).
anyway getting to the point,at the moment i have a ccm supermoto,mildly pimped 3dr focus,v8 jaguar xjr(not on the road another expensive project)and a 59/60 split panel.only legal ones are bike&focus.

now ive always liked tvr's,i know they're tempermental beasts but the noise is just heavenley and if i condense the fleet i.e sell the split,jag(when its finished),focus&bike i can afford one but i will also need something a bit sensible ish with a tow bar to tow my jetski but insurable on a classic policy so i can use my no claims on a tvr,so i think a wedge will fit the bill as ive had a few before on classic policies.

trouble is ive always wanted a split but cant afford that and a tvr (unless the tvr is cheap :crazy: ),but as always with everything i buy its got a few problems and is sat in a gge with no mot or v5.

i just seem to lose interest too quickly and am getting to the point where i just want to polish and clean something instead of having to tinker and fix things,also my house needs a lot of work which i need to get on with.

decisions,decisions,luckily i have no girlfriend/wife to tell me to grow up and buy something sensible :incheek:

i know one day interest rates will go up and i will probabley have to go sensible and sell all the toys to pay a lump off the mortgage but at this moment in time tvr ownership is possible ;)

what would you do??

cheers sye.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I dont think the TVR idea is gonna get a lot of support round here while you have a Split Panel sat outside ;)

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Spend all the money on the panel!!!!!!! ALL OF IT
HAVE A SUPER HUGE ENGINE
that way its a vw panel that wants to be a TVR and well the focus is somewhere in between

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
This is me many years ago!! What a laff. I have a wife but she just knows I am a child
Worry - because one day you will get sensible and settle on one - boo hoo. About 3 years ago I gave up all this and gave all my tools to my cousin who builds 1950's American Hot Rods. Now talking to 2-BOB I am getting the itch again!!

My recommendation - get the Focus a TDCi or an 1.8 for fun and frolics and reliable motoring and get the TVR for the exhaust note. Throw the rest away (Ok sell them) and use the money to buy a good project - say a 1960's 911. That will return value to all the effort you put in.

I once calculated the money I had 'lost' on fiddling with cars - possibly about £80k - and I am certain I was lying to myself. I recon that could have been reduced by selecting the correct cars to lavish my time and attention on. So get something ineteresting and with inherent interest. Lancia or Masertais are what I would buy now - I think - reaches for Classic & Sports Car .........

·
25 character limit is cra
6,619 Posts
Cheap TVR = a 50 gallon drum with a fire burning in it, and you throwing £20 notes in with both hands as fast as you can

You can get nice exhaust notes from other cars you know - I had some stainless steel silencers on my V8 Tatra that weren't too troubled by baffles and it sounded fantastic, even with catalytic converters on it. Old Tatra = the same scenario but with £50 notes by the way.

For cheap thrills with good noise I'd recommend something American. Get yourself a late 60s El Camino and you can throw the jetski in the back. Don't bother with good tyres because 100 foot burnouts will be as common as putting the indicator on. You should even be able to find one with aircon for some modern comfort. You can choose from different manifolds, silencers, carbs and all sorts of other bolt-on goodies from loads of parts catalogues - Chevy tuning is not expensive either.

Sell the split van unless you really want one because they're worth an arm and a leg.

You can then get something 'normal' for getting you around every day.

No charge for this advice, except a go in the El Camino when you get it :D

·
6,619 Posts
metric_thumbs said:
Lancia or Masertais are what I would buy now - I think - reaches for Classic & Sports Car .........
metric will be doing the same burning oil drum thing but with £100 notes :eek:

A friend recently saw a Maserati in the dealers for what the workshop manager called "a big service". It was up on a ramp with it's front suspension off, steering rack out, sump off and the crankshaft laying on the workshop floor in a pool of its own oil. Back then the dealer was charging £120 per hour, so I'm sure it's gone up now :)

Flavia or Flaminia coupe for you, young man ;)

·
Registered
78,035 Posts
if I was going for a TVR I'd go for an early Griffith... Cerbera looks cool but I think the Griffith is the best all rounder in terms of looks, handeling, the fact it's a roadster and future classic status... and they start from around £7k rather than around £13K

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
garethj said:
metric will be doing the same burning oil drum thing but with £100 notes :eek:

A friend recently saw a Maserati in the dealers for what the workshop manager called "a big service". It was up on a ramp with it's front suspension off, steering rack out, sump off and the crankshaft laying on the workshop floor in a pool of its own oil. Back then the dealer was charging £120 per hour, so I'm sure it's gone up now :)

Flavia or Flaminia coupe for you, young man ;)
Sage advice, sage advice!

shh!! do not mention £100 notes - I am older than you - I am suposed to be more sensible!

Flavi or Fammina - nah - 1600HF Fulvia - you know it makes sense
Reaches for Classic & Sportscar for a second time ........

·
6,619 Posts
metric_thumbs said:
Flavi or Fammina - nah - 1600HF Fulvia - you know it makes sense
What the fuck has sense got to do with it?

Oooh, look at this

There's a 1300 Fulvia here Not as much bragging value as a 1600 but I bet the 1300 engine is sweeter :)

Speaking of hopeless money pits, I like these too

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Get thee behind me Satan!

I ran around in a Gmma for a while - not mine - but again what an engine - flat four - you know the score. But a REALL swanky flat four designed by an Italian (forgotten who - not Lampredi - he was dead by then) with lots and lots of torque.

I believe you are right about the 1300 being better than the 1600 - but it is a bigger number.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
arent italian cars supposed to be rust buckets and prone to breakdowns???

before you say it yes like tvr's but at least their english and i could say im doing my bit to keep the british craftsmen in work ;)

its looking good for tvr at the mo as i cant even get my back wheels off :mad: :tick:

sye.

·
6,619 Posts
swampchicken said:
arent italian cars supposed to be rust buckets and prone to breakdowns???
No, it's metric thumbs who needs to get an Italian car, apparently he wants to double his £80k loss in the next 2 years.

You want one of these, you do :)

·
Banned
597 Posts
It's a tough decision, on what to pick. But I pick these two!!

But as of the moment, I'm not shifting from what I've got :yawn:

\|/

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hendrixmaster said:
It's a tough decision, on what to pick. But I pick these two!!

But as of the moment, I'm not shifting from what I've got :yawn:

\|/
Mate, your pic of your splity with a twin turbo 993 porsche 3.6 motor and transmission with some big brakes for good measure would be far cooler than a piece of Italian art work and far more user friendly.

·
Banned
597 Posts
It's either that or a Nova *yuck*

1 - 20 of 40 Posts