Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't stop my twin solexs popping on my square when i rev it.
They are fine on idle, but i can hear slight popping from the exhaust.
Its mostly the left carb but the right one does it also.

Its a stock 1600, timing is at 0 TDC, valves are spot on. I lapped them in but i did notice a bit of guide wear.

None of the jets are blocked, both acclererator pumps are working fine, the balance pipe isnt leaking either, vacuum advance is functioning.

Im at a loss as to what to try next :(

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
12,127 Posts
just rebuilt my lads twin carbs today on his fasty and same thing..I think its where his carb sits on the maifold..leaking from there.
I let you know..and let me know if you sort first please;)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've checked for leaks doing the wd40 trick and havent found any.
New gaskets under the manifold, between the spacer and manifold and under the carbs.
I just took it for a drive and it doesnt accelerate well, if you accelerate slowly you can get upto speed, managed 70 but it took a while, I can only use half throttle.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Mates mini with a 1380cc & Twin SU's had exactly same problem when he rebuilt them after floats sticking etc..
Air leak on join from manifold to carb :(
If it isn't that then I don't know sorry.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
If they haven't had the throttle bushes replaced during refurb it may well be that there's air leaking thru there. Now the bad news. Those bushes very difficult to find, and Gasure (who refurb most of these carbs) charge 170 quid to do it and you can't post the carbs to them, they want engine in vehicle!

I have of late been coming to the conclusion that Solex cannot make a decent carb. They're french, which might explain alot.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
If they haven't had the throttle bushes replaced during refurb it may well be that there's air leaking thru there. Now the bad news. Those bushes very difficult to find, and Gasure (who refurb most of these carbs) charge 170 quid to do it and you can't post the carbs to them, they want engine in vehicle!

I have of late been coming to the conclusion that Solex cannot make a decent carb. They're french, which might explain alot.
They're a lot better than some of the other crap I have seen, eg. chinese, Boca 34 Pict-3 and Brosol H30/31

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I do have another suggestion. Are the vacuum hoses, fuel hoses and carburetor balancing (the large ones) hoses cracked or perished ?

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Fair comment, but they're also alot worse than weber, dellorto, SU, holley etc.
Webers are very good on the right engine.

I use a Weber 32IBF on my mk1 Polo and my fiancée's Bedford CF2 horsebox has a Weber 34ICT fitted as standard.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, cheers for the replies everybody.
The right spindle is leaking a bit, but I had a thought and re-checked the timing.
It turns out that when i changed dizzy I used a beetle one and the notch is in the wrong place but where i thought the notch should now be (no1 plug on the cap) wasnt exactly the right place.
Bit of static timing and it runs a lot better!!
Feel a bit of an idiot for not checking it before.

The solex on my 85 polo is fine, never have a problem with it.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Ok, cheers for the replies everybody.
The right spindle is leaking a bit, but I had a thought and re-checked the timing.
It turns out that when i changed dizzy I used a beetle one and the notch is in the wrong place but where i thought the notch should now be (no1 plug on the cap) wasnt exactly the right place.
Bit of static timing and it runs a lot better!!
Feel a bit of an idiot for not checking it before.

The solex on my 85 polo is fine, never have a problem with it.
I would get that right hand carburetor rebuilt (Gower and Lee can do those, but check with them first. They may want to rebuild the pair of them at approx £110 each).

Alternatively there's Gas Sure but they will want the engine fitted in the vehicle and I think someone else said that it would cost £170 (I don't know if that's each or for the pair).

Did your square have a dual vacuum advance dizzy fitted on it originally? If that's the case then it may be a good idea to refit it and find out what the problem with the original dizzy was (if you have still got it).

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I still have the original dual vacuum dizzy. The vacuum plate wasnt moving when I sucked on it.
I'll give it a go sometime.
I blanked off the vacuum port on the manifold.

I'll have a look at the siezed throttle bodies that I have and see if the spindles on those are leaking.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Yeah I still have the original dual vacuum dizzy. The vacuum plate wasnt moving when I sucked on it.
I'll give it a go sometime.
I blanked off the vacuum port on the manifold.

I'll have a look at the siezed throttle bodies that I have and see if the spindles on those are leaking.

Cheers!
In that case it could be the vacuum unit.

I think they're still available from the VW Classic Parts Center (I'm guessing that the original distributor has a dual advance vacuum unit fitted to it, you will also need the VW part number to order from them as well), but they won't be cheap. A dual vacuum advance unit for my 2.0 litre CU engined campervan (I got it as a spare just in case) cost me about £70.

If you need to order anything from the VW Classic Parts Center then have a look at my "How to Order Parts from VW Classic Parts Center" thread on here http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=548566

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.