Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fitting an alternator to my type 3 is something I have been wanting to do for some time. After reading about conversions here I have finally got hold of a small Denso alternator for the job. Fitting it and wiring it in won't be a problem except for the fact I don't know which terminal is which on the alternator. Apart from the "B" connection to the battery there are 3 other pins. None of them labelled. They should be "ignition", "warning light" and "sense" but I don't know which one is which.

The alternator is a common fitting on Toyota Hilux and other models. Does anyone have any idea which is which?

Attached is a photo of the back of the alternator for reference.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
34,410 Posts
t3madman said:
Fitting an alternator to my type 3 is something I have been wanting to do for some time. After reading about conversions here I have finally got hold of a small Denso alternator for the job. Fitting it and wiring it in won't be a problem except for the fact I don't know which terminal is which on the alternator. Apart from the "B" connection to the battery there are 3 other pins. None of them labelled. They should be "ignition", "warning light" and "sense" but I don't know which one is which.

The alternator is a common fitting on Toyota Hilux and other models. Does anyone have any idea which is which?

Attached is a photo of the back of the alternator for reference.
Looks interesting-can`t find any info on that link though.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dragster172 said:
Looks interesting-can`t find any info on that link though.
To get to the info is a bit of a muddle but try this.

Click "Tobys Toys" in the top frame
Click "1972 Volkswagen Squareback (my baby)" in the left frame
Scroll down the main frame about 1/2 way to "custom alternator installation", click this.
Click "Darth Vader"

There are 2 different installations, one using a Nippon Denso alternator and one using a Mazda RX7 alternator.

My plan is to use the Denso alternator, different one to the one shown but the same size, possibly with an adjustable bracket, depending on clearance.

·
Registered
34,410 Posts
Moby5153 said:
Are you saying the wiring diagrams on Jims link don't match your alternator? Can't tell from your pic, it's too dark.
:)
No i was really curious about the conversion-shame theres not a kit available-it`s a great idea!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Moby5153 said:
Are you saying the wiring diagrams on Jims link don't match your alternator? Can't tell from your pic, it's too dark.
Try this one.

As you can see, no identification marks.

·
Registered
34,410 Posts
t3madman said:
To get to the info is a bit of a muddle but try this.

Click "Tobys Toys" in the top frame
Click "1972 Volkswagen Squareback (my baby)" in the left frame
Scroll down the main frame about 1/2 way to "custom alternator installation", click this.
Click "Darth Vader"

There are 2 different installations, one using a Nippon Denso alternator and one using a Mazda RX7 alternator.

My plan is to use the Denso alternator, different one to the one shown but the same size, possibly with an adjustable bracket, depending on clearance.
Cheers, some interesting stuff!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dragster172 said:
:)
No i was really curious about the conversion-shame theres not a kit available-it`s a great idea!
Definately, it will make a big difference, no more disco lights with the headlights when I crank my music up at night. Keep dimming in time with the base!

Calculations on my stereo work out it draws over 30A when on full volume. Oops! Too much for the dynamo. I could never drive it whilst cranked up that far but haveing the headlights dimming every beat is annoying to say the least!

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
When i first saw this last night , my first thought (with it having a seperate three pin connector) was it needed some kind of external regulator , obviously not though.

I am suprised that anyone makes alternators that are like this... :confused: , unless i am missing something...

(i cannot think of a reason why it shouldnt be very simple these days , just a B+ and D+ , simple and easy enough for everyone , one wire to the warning light and another to the main power line. :) )

on a another note , can you not get wiring diagrams for its intended applications (which vehicles it fits etc) and use that to work out what goes where ? :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
The Denso alternator may not be for a Hilux unless it is a recentíish model. Denso are renown for not giving either terminal or alternator identification, but thatís whatís needed unfortunately. The Denso alt numbers are usually 10 digit with a space or ñ between 6th and 7th digit. Peter Good

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The alternator model number is 101211-8700. Fitted to the 4Y engine used in Hilux, Hiace and forklift trucks. Also fitted to the 5K engine. From 2000 onwards.

At the moment I am signing up to a couple of Toyota forums to see if they are as forthcoming with info as are the VW forums. Time will tell.

If I do find out then I will post the info on here in case anybody else needs it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts