Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
hush yer gums!
19,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this just dawned on me yesterday... my engine for the bus is a 1776 based on a type 3 case, im running upright type 1 cooling / fan arrangement, yesterday i notced the case doesnt have a fuel pressure sender....

type 3 ones usually have the sender block mounted direstly on the oil cooler, which is horizontal.

anyone got any ideas how i can work round this at all?

can i mount TYPE 3 oil cooler vertically? do they have the same mountings as a type 1 cooler?

many thanks in advance
paul :D

·
Hannibal Selecta
1,413 Posts
I think this would be possible (as the type 1 oil cooler uses a block that mounts in the same location as the type 3 cooler but converts the cooler to a vertical position. The problem you may have is clearance for the pressure sender within the fan housing. Its worth noting a friend of mine couldn't find brand new type 3 oil coolers when looking for a new one for a built type 3 based engine using a universal. And if you buy second hand be aware that early coolers (single port) have 8mm in/out holes and twinport have 10mm holes.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've got a t3 crank in my baja. When I got it it had a t1 tin and cooler and no pressure switch!!!!!
Blagged a cheapo 2nd hand t3 one (thanx dibber :D ) and it fitted on the same as the bug one. the only draw back was that I couldn't fit a pressure gauge sender as it was too bulky and hiut the firewall.

Should be no problem IMHO :D

·
Registered
25,696 Posts
Run the T3 cooler in the T1 position,extend wire round to the back,you'll have to trim fanshroud very slightly,and its a fiddle to attach wire but a reasonable solution.As Rich says check cooler bore.

·
hush yer gums!
19,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rad Dubs and Englishmen said:
Run the T3 cooler in the T1 position,extend wire round to the back,you'll have to trim fanshroud very slightly,and its a fiddle to attach wire but a reasonable solution.As Rich says check cooler bore.
thanks andy :)

right ill check the shop at the weekend as apparently we have a type 3 oil cooler in the store somewhere, if not it looks like ill be after one :)

many thanks again everyone for all the help :)

cheers

·
hush yer gums!
19,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers man,

ill let you know after the weekend once i have had a chance to tear our store room apart ;)

thanks

·
hush yer gums!
19,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rad Dubs and Englishmen said:
I'll have a spare I think if you're stuck.
ok andy, ive drawn a blank in our shop, have you got a spare one at all dude?

cheers

·
Registered
25,696 Posts
I probably have,it'll be wednesday I think before i next go to the yard, its 40 miles away, and i don't think I'll get time this weekend.

·
hush yer gums!
19,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
right

thanks to rad dubs i got the type 3 oil cooler, thanks fella :)

bolted it up this afternoon, cut a mousehole in the rear f my shroud for the sender, fitted it all up...JOB DONE :D

thanks everyone for all your help on this one :group:

cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts