Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know if the needle bearings in the front beam of an Type 3 have an equivalent. What I mean is the Beetle or Type 2, could be used in there place.
Can any one advise me or have I got to go with the Type 3 bearings?
Cheers
Vince

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response MOBY5153. So is there any way I can be sure they are Type 1 lowers , are have I got to pull them first. I was thinking about going to an Bearing supplier with the old one's and see if he could match them. Had a daft price from another well known shop that wanted £34 a bearing.
Once again thanks for the advice it's appreciated.
Cheers
Vince

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
You can be sure the lower ones are the same as Moby said. The Type 1 lowers, on 66> models, are actually Type 3 bearings.

·
Registered
668 Posts
VINCE said:
Had a daft price from another well known shop that wanted £34 a bearing.
Once again thanks for the advice it's appreciated.
Cheers
Vince
welcome to the world of t3 ownership :rolleyes:

when i first got my fasty i contacted a well known supplier for a few bits and pieces and was told by him that t3 clutches were different to t1 and t2 ones and that there's a difference between early and late- paid £85 not including p&p to get sent a clutch i could have brought from gsf for under £50. a set of gaskets (also told different) cost over twice what they would from anyone else and even came with another company logo on the bag :mad: :eek:

needless to say i don't shop there anymore unless i really, really have to.

when i needed new bearings i took the old ones out and took them to an engineering place in ilkeston- cost me £20 for a set upper and lower ;) You could also just try BBT it's where most of his parts seem to come from anyway :incheek:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
bilbobaggins said:
welcome to the world of t3 ownership :rolleyes:

........needless to say i don't shop there anymore unless i really, really have to........:incheek:
If we are talking the same language, trust me, after 14 years of type 3 ownership, you really don't have to shop there anymore.

For future reference, have a look here for what fits what else. Might help.

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,134 Posts
I go *there* every now and again to have a good laugh at the prices. Never purchased a thing from them.

The other option you've got is getting another front beam. Seems to be plenty of type three's being broken and not fixed these days :( . Trouble is, the bearings are probably as bad as the ones you've got. The odd NOS bearing does turn up every now and again, but never when you want one. Machine shop might be the best bet. Better still, get a load fabbed up and sell them on..........

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
We got em, (Type 3 beam bearings) ;) £11.50inc the vat each :D
they are the same upper and lower

311-401-301/C 50mm dia :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Ben I take Moby5153 has a different part number and diameter from you. Are you sure this is the correct bearings on the upper for the Type 3 1968?
What's your thoughts
Confused
Vince

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
I may have a couple of NOS Type 3 bearings somewhere, i'll take a look see if i can dig them out ;)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
VINCE said:
So Ben I take Moby5153 has a different part number and diameter from you. Are you sure this is the correct bearings on the upper for the Type 3 1968?
What's your thoughts
Confused
Vince
just goin by ETKA

T3 beam

T1 Beam

link pin

ball joint

part no.s

:D

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
ETKA is not as descriptive as it could be. Since the two bearings have different index numbers then #8 would not have any reference to #9. The same appears with the ball-joint Type 1 where the bearings have different indexes. The NLA numbers are 311 401 305 for the 44mm and 311 401 305 A for the oversize 44.2mm.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to one and all. It looks like both upper and lower bearings come wth an oversized one. So will I have to take the old stuff out first to determine which bearing to use.
At the moment the upper bearing looks like it's got movement when the wheel is rocked. Must investigate this further, so might take your offers up on the bearings, when I determine what I require.
Cheers
Vince

1 - 18 of 18 Posts