Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much should i be looking for to buy a 914 2.0 engine for? looking for a rough figure.
i have been offered one (no engine no.) with twin 48 ida's, performance cam, revs to 6k otherwise stock. uses a bit of oil - no leaks.
i know very little about type 4 engines.
cheers
z

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
In good order these are highly sought after. Expect to pay more than a couple of hundred quid even for a non runner of unknown conditon. I also say one for sale (turn key with twin Webber 40's and 'zaust for about £2.5k (IIRC) in a porsche breakers - was newly rebuild when guy smashed car (912E). The only thing about them really that makes them so special is their cyclinder heads! The larger valved 1.8L heads are the next best thing, followed by the 1.7L I think (you can always maching the bore bigger, for 1.8 /2L). Laso with strting with 2L small valve bus heads, you could instal larger valves and have some headworkk down for the same sort of outlay.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i have edited post whilst you were replying - change anything?

ps. you pi**ed?

·
Banned
4,064 Posts
914 2.0L has a differant cam, differant pistons, and the much sort after 3 bolt 42x36 valved heads in stock form. heads are worth £500 if in good order.48 ida are worth £800 of anybodys money. so how much is it, can it be heard running , wheres the oil coming from ??? worn rings ??

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Ummm, forgot about the flat top 94mm pistons...but aren't the cams th same as 1.7L 914 and 1.8 type 4 engines?

BTW Lee I will need to get some barrels bored out to 96mm at some time. I shall try for Big Bang (fingers crossed it wil still happen!) :)

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
zombie69 said:
how much should i be looking for to buy a 914 2.0 engine for? looking for a rough figure.
i have been offered one (no engine no.) with twin 48 ida's, performance cam, revs to 6k otherwise stock. uses a bit of oil - no leaks.
i know very little about type 4 engines.
cheers
z
If it has no engine number it has probably been subject to a recuild (also confirming the liklyhood of cam etc). What you really want to check is the spec of that cam if possible, and the heads to ensure compatibility with them. I would also runa compression test. There must be some more history there?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes its running, and got the 3 stud heads.
it uses oil but no visible smoke i am told.
its a turn key motor.
thanks
z

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Go on, how much is it going for?
You should be asking:
What material are the valves?
What valve springs (possibly double if a wild cam) ...easier to check than valve material, just by reomoving rocker cover.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
l.a.r.d said:
914 2.0L has a differant cam, differant pistons, and the much sort after 3 bolt 42x36 valved heads in stock form. heads are worth £500 if in good order.48 ida are worth £800 of anybodys money. so how much is it, can it be heard running , wheres the oil coming from ??? worn rings ??
that your website?
what other type4/914 performance exhausts do you do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts