Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive managed to get hold of a 2000cc type 4 and want to put it into the ongoing project - my 83 mexican bug.....

Is this an easy thing to do or will I have to modify the engine bay to accomodate the twin carbs......

Any ideas guys or examples and best ways to do this would be appreciated...

BigJohn:bandit:

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Not twin carbs you have to worry about its the pancake cooling. You need to convert to upright, Porsche or better yet DTM cooling, or mod your bodywork...

EXCELLENT engine choice though mate! You'll LOVE it!

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
it's not going to be cheap
cutting the body work is not as bad as some make out
especially if the the bits of the engine that do stick out are painted body colour
it'll be the 2 corners that stick out into the valance, and will need to trim the engine lid lower down
i've seen it done a few times i had pictures but can't find them

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
A stock 2 litre motor, with a tendency to lose inlet seats, shed valve guides and weigh 1 and 1/2 times more than your original unit. Producing a massive 68BHP is, in my opinion, a waste of time, space and energy. Once you've spent a fortune on the cooling system, you may as well have built a basic 1600 with an Engle110 and a pair of ICTs.

VW totally cocked up when they made that unit, especially as they already had a superior unit in the 1800 that they fitted into the Type 4. They seem to do that a lot. They fitted the 68BHP turbo diesel to the T25 when they already had a lovely 80BHP unit.

I spent many happy hours, working in dealerships in 1908/81, fixing CU and CT engines with low mileages and big bills!

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
if you have an enclosed breather on the 2lt you need that cutting off at the same height as the open one - if you are going dtm or cali - the porsche cooling needs a rad machining into it!
you will need an exhaust system too as the std one wont fit a bug

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
A stock 2 litre motor, with a tendency to lose inlet seats, shed valve guides and weigh 1 and 1/2 times more than your original unit. Producing a massive 68BHP is, in my opinion, a waste of time, space and energy. Once you've spent a fortune on the cooling system, you may as well have built a basic 1600 with an Engle110 and a pair of ICTs.

VW totally cocked up when they made that unit, especially as they already had a superior unit in the 1800 that they fitted into the Type 4. They seem to do that a lot. They fitted the 68BHP turbo diesel to the T25 when they already had a lovely 80BHP unit.

I spent many happy hours, working in dealerships in 1908/81, fixing CU and CT engines with low mileages and big bills!
68 bhp? Are you sure? the 1700 puts out 80... And the weight difference isn't 1 and a half times a T1...

·
Registered
18,764 Posts

68 bhp? Are you sure? the 1700 puts out 80... And the weight difference isn't 1 and a half times a T1...
he's right, although i prefer type IV motors
myself, 1700 injection motors i think were the most powerful, although 1800 had better heads {they had bigger valves}

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the different views of what to do have left me pondering???

if i uprated the cam, carbs, rockers etc etc etc would this be better than getting a decent stock 1600 and starting from there.

the car came with a single port 1500 - ok for a spare but i thought with the t4 engine avail id have it......

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as long as the mrs doesnt find out I can spend the brass on the t4 engine - and run the bug with a stock 1500 for the moment until I have a pearler of a t4 to put in and drool over..

I have seen the Cali conversion - which according to some that have done it costs about 750 using other bits from a t1 engine aswell.

if i was to add a bit more grunt to the t4 what cam would be the better one to use and what other goodies could i add

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
if you want to build a motor that will last look at jake raby in the states - he spends thousands of $ developing each item he sells and wont sell any thing thats not proven - but its not cheep but IMHO its every bit value for money

i dont know where the 750 figure comes from? is that us $? i spose that could be right if you include the motor?
as with anything i depends what you want

the vw t4s produced anthing from 67 up to 100bhp in st form so someone saying that a t4 produces 68hp is like saying that the t1 produces 36hp!
yea they did a version that produced that power but that aint the whole story

in std form the 2lt will out perform the t1 any day
if you want to go t4 you have to go upright to do a tidy job in a bug but once you have done this you can produce serious power and torque with it

if you have the £ you need to get a decent exhaust apparently otherwise all the other improvements are waisted as the zorst will hinder everything
a A1 system is best at the mo from tangerine racing but jake is finalizing his exhaust as we speak
then carbs
you could go up to the 2.4lt bs & ps in a bug with out too much overheating problems on the cali conversion and throw in a wild street cam and your laughing

im building a cali cooled 2056 for my split, its on a budget so im using the best bits i have gathered along the 5 years that iv been trying to make a t4 fit in a splitty!
in std form it doesnt work !
if i had the £ id have a DTM cooling system even if its as ugly as sin! it works and thats what you need

1 - 20 of 30 Posts