Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good Type 4 upright fan conversion kit available to the uk? Would the 911 fan kit be the best way to go?

Got a 2L Type 4 going in to a 66 Beetle.

Has anyone here done this conversion?

Thanks guys! :hug:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Ive posted some pics on the ssvc website in the rides and projects section.

Aide

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Gone Spliin, where did you get your genny / slternator mount bit from?

Dub Man have you come accross Jake Rabies DTM kit? (in the USA) apparently the most effiecient at cooling although with a stick 2litre unlickly to tbe needed in your case. Uprught conversion with type 1, as shown is good, Porsche 911 style is my preference! ;)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Come from csp as part of a upright cooling kit! :D

Very cheap too! :D
Aide

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gone Splittin - That does look good mate, I will get looking at the pics right away methinks!

VielziDub - Havent seen Jakes kit yet, I will take a look. I have to agree with you - the 911 fan looks the nuts. :tick:

I plan on fitting a big bore kit and 48 DCOE'S Dell'Orto's , depending on how long the body takes, I might have enough cash do get some big valve flowed heads... any experience on these? Worth it>?

I have also heard that on the hydraulic lifters, a new cam has to be supplied after a new set or lifters. Is this true? If it is - it will be a shame as I will have to fit a fast road cam :crazy:

Bob R - I take it you have a bit of experience in these ways!! hehe.

·
Lord Von Hannover
20,583 Posts
speak to Sam_Cat on here, he's running a DTM :cool:

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
the csp/type1 style cooling is a good bet on a stockish 2 ltr. i'm running 911 cooling on my full race 2ltr and it works very well thank you:D

jakes dtm is a good kit but he will tell you it is the ONLY one that works, it's not.
you can also try the cali conversion http://www.aircooledtech.com/type4_upright_conversion/ a cheap way of upright cooling if you have some fabbing skills.
cheers rob

·
Banned
4,064 Posts
we have been working on a type1 upright conversion and are due to release in a couple of weeks, price will be about £300 that includes 2 shrouds billet ally adaptor block and 3 bolt pulley. we also do our own 911 fan conversion £350 includes case machining stainless strap, 3 bolt pulley, judgies blue beetle features my shroud and strap and pulley oh yeah and they work, also been working on a new upright shroud that has some special internall vanes for our 2.6cc plus engines, which will destroy the myth that 911 cooling does,nt work well, we also do a flat 911 kit aswell which includes the shroud, adaptor block and billet pulley wheels, and a 3 bolt pulley, which is bolt on. all the best Lee .

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AlexB - That shroud looks great, do you know what else would I need to complete the comversion? I have a 1600 T1 in at the moment which I can salvage parts from if needed and a complete 2L T4 sat in the garage.

l.a.r.d - as above mate, what bits would I need for the complete conversion? Had a look at the site and I have to say, it all looks good!

I can see that there are quite a lot of guys here saying that the DTM and CSP kits are good coolers - cant argue with that! :D
I cant wait to see how the LAPerformance new internal vane system works out, it sounds pretty sweet.

flat930 - Agree.... looks damn good! :crazy:

Thanks for everyones help and input on this, it really is a great help. The way things are going - I might even have the Bug on the road for March '07!! :incheek: Cant bloody wait!

·
Banned
4,064 Posts
dubman, i will need your case (2 halves only) for machining and breather box installation, you then will get a shroud a stainless steel fan strap and a 3 bolt bottom pulley. or go for our flat 911 kit which is a bolt on kit , no machining required. all the best Lee.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks l.a.r.d

Will i need a different clutch or any replacement mountings to fit this T4 to the existing beetle box? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts