Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I've just ordered a pair of Michelins for the Yeti, Mytyres.co.uk were cheaper than everyone else by £15 per tyre.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,205 Posts
Depends where I am. Quite often it's Bathwick Tyres or Kwik Fit with the driving school cars. I did buy a set of 5 winter tyres complete with new steel wheels off mytyres for £450 a few winters ago. The last time I had a full set of 4 summer tyres on I went with Kwik Fit as they had a deal on and they came out and fitted them on my drive for free whilst I had a day off/in the office to do my accounts. I'd deffo do that again - much easier!

·
Premium Member
43,484 Posts
Mainly black circles but have picked up some bargain tyres on eBay in the past.
same as that.

great service from black circles, especially when they have a promotion on.

ebay has turned up some proper bargains before. i managed to get a pair of barely worns for my golf for £2.31p within 10 miles of my house. :D

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
whoever it is I wouldnt use ATS,especially the Trowbridge depot, my daughter was scammed last week into paying £60 per tyre for a 155/70 13 budget tyre. she had a puncture and was told all 4 tyres were illegal, they werent, I had only just bought her the car and had serviced it and checked tyres etc. Im an ex traffic cop and wouldnt ever let my young one on the road illegally or with dangerous parts..

They really did see her coming

·
20,639 Posts
I use MyTyres almost exclusively now and they are great to deal with. I used to search for the best deal but could usually only get £a quid off the MyTyres price and after surfing around, I'd go back to the cheapest only to find the price had miraculously increased so now I don't bother. In fact I've got to buy a set of 205/60x15 for the Bug soon and in my favorite tyre, Goodyear, MyTyres price is lower than some of the other tyres that I consider at the 'cheap' end of the market.

·
I really must get out more
6,608 Posts
Camskill for the bug, Brand new Vredestein T-trac, £43 ish...

Used to use Ebay for part worns, but not any more. Not sure if I've become more decadent, or just can't be fucked with trawling around for hours looking for tyres that aren't fucked.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
kwik fit..only cos my mate is the manager and i gets em nice n cheap.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Has anyone used etyres before?

They have a £25 off deal at the moment if you buy x4 tyres which makes them the cheapest by nearly £20 compared to anyone else.

The Polo needs new tyres all around and I am thinking to try etyres for Bridgestone Turanzas.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
i use etyres.

i gave up on sourcing my own tyres after all the local indy garages closed down and the national chains all throw a hissy fit when you ask them to just fit/remove tyres, and then charge so much that you don't end up saving any money.

also the last pair of new tyres i bought on ebay turned out to be 15 years old, so they were effectively scrap.

·
20,639 Posts
I buy all my tyres on-line and have a tyre change machine that I bought about 6 years ago that has paid for itself several times over just changing tyres on the family cars.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I've used etyres before and had no issues. Turanzas are a good choice too (used to work for Bridgestone).
Thanks for the feedback, good to know. :)

i use etyres.

i gave up on sourcing my own tyres after all the local indy garages closed down and the national chains all throw a hissy fit when you ask them to just fit/remove tyres, and then charge so much that you don't end up saving any money.
I have a spreadsheet running (yeah, I'm that sad) comparing all of the costs for online delivered only Vs online fitted Vs local sourced and fitted Vs local remove and fit only. I would agree with you as I found most garages were reluctant to just remove and fit new tyres as they wanted to source the new tyres as well, obviously to add their margin.

I know there are scrap-fees for the tyre fitters to pay to dispose of the old tyres and I think the garages want to add protection against the liability for fitting poor quality tyres which could cause an accident and want to be in control of where the tyres are sourced, which I understand.

However, when you are calling the local 'remould / worn tyres' bloke on some industrial estate, you would think they would trust your brand new tyres more than their own old and worn second-hand ones and would be happy to keep their tyre machine and staff busy with an easy transaction as they do not have to source any tyres, they just remove the old ones and fit the new ones, which would take less than 10 minutes.

I could not find anyone in my area (Northampton) who would remove and fit tyres for less than £12 each all in, which as you say, negates the saving you have just made sourcing and buying the tyres online.

I buy all my tyres on-line and have a tyre change machine that I bought about 6 years ago that has paid for itself several times over just changing tyres on the family cars.
I remember reading a thread a while back where you said you had your own tyre machine and thinking that it was a good idea, especially when you have a few cars and sets of wheels and tyres to change like between winter and summer tyres. :D

Shame you're not closer :incheek: :D

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
ive used black circles and mytyres, I find mytyres have more of a range, and they supply more mid priced tyres rather than your average £200 Pirellis and Michelins

·
20,639 Posts
I remember reading a thread a while back where you said you had your own tyre machine and thinking that it was a good idea, especially when you have a few cars and sets of wheels and tyres to change like between winter and summer tyres. :D

Shame you're not closer :incheek: :D
The stack of wheels in the garage is growing. All the owned family cars have summer and winter tyres but my daughters new Audi company car has to do with whatever the company will fit. One of the downsides to DIY tyre fitting is the stack of junk ones I've accumulated. Although they are recyclable no LA place will take them and that means a 40 miles round trip to Melton Mowbray plus £1 per tyre to dispose of them:rolleyes: I might just set light to them and pollute the world!:incheek: The annoying thing is that the biggest user of recycled tyre rubber is the LAs who use it for playgound matting.

·
14,293 Posts
The stack of wheels in the garage is growing. All the owned family cars have summer and winter tyres but my daughters new Audi company car has to do with whatever the company will fit. One of the downsides to DIY tyre fitting is the stack of junk ones I've accumulated. Although they are recyclable no LA place will take them and that means a 40 miles round trip to Melton Mowbray plus £1 per tyre to dispose of them:rolleyes: I might just set light to them and pollute the world!:incheek: The annoying thing is that the biggest user of recycled tyre rubber is the LAs who use it for playgound matting.
Our local council tip will allow you to dispose of 4 tyres at a time in their special tyre skip. They don't charge.

·
Premium Member
43,484 Posts
One of the downsides to DIY tyre fitting is the stack of junk ones I've accumulated. Although they are recyclable no LA place will take them and that means a 40 miles round trip to Melton Mowbray plus £1 per tyre to dispose of them:rolleyes: I might just set light to them and pollute the world!:incheek:
make some garden planters out of them and turn them into a feature :incheek:

Our local council tip will allow you to dispose of 4 tyres at a time in their special tyre skip. They don't charge.
you're lucky. all the ones round here wont touch them.

·
20,639 Posts
Earlier this year I bought a set of 4 winter tyres and a new 225/45x17 from My Tyres. I got the 5% discount for the 4 winter tyres but didn't get anything for the single tyre. I thought that it was a minimum of 4 tyres that the discount applied to but it applies to multiples of 4 tyres.

The consignment was supposedly delayed and only two of the winter tyres were supposed to be delivered as a 1st consignment according to My Tyres, the second two had been 'lost'. Next morning all 5 tyres turned up! My Tyres keenness to keep me informed had backfired because I now have doubts about their logistics and admin. Had they kept quiet all would have gone smoothly and impressively as before.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts