Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rare chance to buy a 'first owner for 28 years, genuine low mileage and garaged from new' VW Camper Van - I know what you are saying, "I haven't seen one like that available since Quentin and Tiff did Top Gear (before the days of the tall idiot, the short idiot and that frightfully nice James May fellow), surely there is some mistake with the price, it's worth loads more" etc., etc.

Offered to you lucky punters is a 1980, 2 litre air-cooled VW Type 25, twin slider model bus which has only done a genuine 40,000 miles (65,000 km).

This van was purchased new by the German Feuerwehr (or Trumpton, as we in Blighty would know them) as one of 106 emergency reserve vehicles kept at fire stations around Germany; to be used in the event of a Nuclear Disaster. Fortunately none of the cold war era tensions resulted in anyone dropping 'the big one' so these vans spent 30 years cosseted in nice warm fire stations, maintained to the highest standards, and ready to go at any time.

This particular van had very little use other than taking the Feuerwehr volleyball team to away matches at other fire station back-yards and occasional runs to the chip shop to buy supper for the hard working Feuerwehr Water Fairies, sorry, I mean Firemen.

The van was retired by Deutsche -Trumpton in 2008 and imported to the UK by the legendary RetroSteve at Eastfalia. It is now fully UK registered and has an MOT and Tax until December 2009. It is very reliable, starts first time, every time and is as cool as a penguin's gentlemen's regions!

It probably won't suit those of a shy and retiring disposition due to being bright orange, being lowered and having a set of lovely Porsche alloy wheels ('liberated' from a yuppie's Porsche Boxter, who was careless where he parked his pride and joy). It also still has a working blue light and siren so here's the disclaimer part of the ad. - blue lights are not legal unless you are driving an emergency services vehicle and so you should change the lens for a different colour, or cover it up, or you will get a stern talking to (or worse) by a member of the Constabulary. (It does look good though, so you could just claim ignorance of the law and just risk getting a ticket!)

Anyway, it's an 8 seater, 4 door VW T25 Camper Van, stupidly low mileage, excellent condition with absolutely zero rust, drives like new, turns heads everywhere and it's £4250.

REDUCED TO £3950

or available with standard wheels / tyres for £200 off the price :cool:

Come and buy it, you know it makes sense…………

Van is in Woking, Surrey.

Only really being sold as my old bay window bus is up for sale and I'd like to buy it back!

Kerry - 07799 887128

Pics and more details will be added later.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, a bit more info about this bus. It is a genuine Katastrophenshutz bus and was supplied to the Feuerwehr direct from the factory in 1980. They ordered just over a hundred, 40 of which were among the very last German built bay window busses (I used to own one of these;)) and the majority were from the first batches of T25's to be produced. All had the twin carb 2 litre 'type 4' engines and lots of factory upgrades like enhanced suspension, uprated alternators (for all the extra electrical kit) etc.
There is lots of interesting information about them on this site...
http://www.kats.thebughaus.co.uk/kats/index.php

Pics of my bus.....

These vans were held in reserve by the Feuerwehr (German Firebrigade) to be used in the event of a national disaster like a nuclear attack (this was the cold war era and before the Berlin wall came down) but maintained 'ready to go', hence they tend to be low mileage and rot free having spent their lives unused in heated fire stations.

This one was stationed at Leer in Northern Germany and towards the end of it's service it was used by the local Technisches Hilfswerk (Federal Agency for Disaster Relief). It was retired from active service in 2008 and imported by Eastfalia.com

It's incredibly straight and solid and is probably the closest you will come to the feel of driving a 'new' T25. There is absolutely no rust or seam rash anywhere. Other than being lowered and having Porsche alloys it is totally standard.
It's an 8 seater but the middle row are easy to slide out if you need more room.

It really needs to be seen to be appreciated.

I've got more pictures - just shout if you want pics of any particular bits.

Thanks for looking :bandit:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry mate, not really looking for a part ex.

More interior photos taken today - should have hoovered it out first!

that's dust NOT rust on the floors :)

original, unused Feuerwehr first aid kit!

Seats all in great condition, middle row slides out to give more load space, all 8 seats have seatbelts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
had a couple of low offers - is no-one interested in a bus with no rust and only 40,000 miles for £4k:rolleyes:

Looks like it is time to resort to flea bay :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.