Volkszone Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Cool :)

Be careful with the rod bearings. I bought direct from Wolfsburg West and they were too loose on the crank journal. The machine shop managed to find one of the last set of a local quality brand. Big end of the rods also needed resizing as had ovaled.

So just a few things I found when rebuilding my 36er ;)

oh, and exhaust valve guides were flogged out too so entire heads got rebuild but I did get 3 angle valve seats for free ;)
The bug came with a 58 engine that had been refurbed ,new bearings etc,the 56 i found was seized so i'm basically using most of the 58 parts in the 56 case, with exception of new valves,rings etc

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
The bug came with a 58 engine that had been refurbed ,new bearings etc,the 56 i found was seized so i'm basically using most of the 58 parts in the 56 case, with exception of new valves,rings etc
I was surprised with what the machine shop found on my engine. I have a set of micrometers and telescopic bore gauges and everything was still within std spec apart from the rods. Both big and little ends were out of spec.
Anyway, this is me being overly cautious but personally I'd have this 'reconditioned' engine measured by a machine shop just to ensure everythings good. People throw new bearings in and expect everything to be fine but even with quality bearings you can have the oil clearance tolerance end up too big or small.
At the least buy some plastigauge and assemble parts in sections, like crank n case then crank n rods. If the plastigauge shows clearance is within spec then you should be ok but if it shows too close to either end of the allowed tolerance then I'd get those parts looked at more closely.

The engine will last much longer and run more smoothly if it's nicely within spec ;)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Carpets turned up wednesday ,ordered them early March !!, being returned hopefully today. 5 pieces wrong,stitching on the tunnel piece shocking not impressed at all, colour was right tho. Spoke to them yesterday they wanted pics & details of what's wrong,hopefully they will sort them out quickly as these are holding me up now finishing , not happy !!!

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Carpets turned up wednesday ,ordered them early March !!, being returned hopefully today. 5 pieces wrong,stitching on the tunnel piece shocking not impressed at all, colour was right tho. Spoke to them yesterday they wanted pics & details of what's wrong,hopefully they will sort them out quickly as these are holding me up now finishing , not happy !!!
What company? Not Newton Commercial?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Mmm yep, they were collected today & i should get a call on monday to discuss them !!!

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Mmm yep, they were collected today & i should get a call on monday to discuss them !!!
Bummer, they were so spot on for my Ovals full carpet set. Even the wrong colour they sent to me was spot on and the colour due to the local company being dipshits and forwarding the incorrect colour to Newton.
Hopefully this is not becoming the norm for them as they've always had a good name for quality from my understanding.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts