Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 1979 bay window bus that was purchased brand new by my father as a Devon conversion bus. It has twin sliding doors, bench seats and windows all round, but for some reason it's classed as a delivery van on the logbook and therefore soon subject to ULEZ. can I get the DVLA to change this to minibus to avoid the charge or would it have to be converted to a camper? Anyone know?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
No idea to be honest.
Maybe try and find a local haulage firm that maybe able to give you a point of contact to get the info you need?

·
Administrator
166,831 Posts
I don't know if things have changed or not - but one used to be able to take a bunch of photos of the camper - windows, sink, cooker, bed, etc. and send them in with the V5c and the DVLA would change the vehicle class for you.

I did it with my T5 - but that was nearly 10 years ago.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if things have changed or not - but one used to be able to take a bunch of photos of the camper - windows, sink, cooker, bed, etc. and send them in with the V5c and the DVLA would change the vehicle class for you.

Hopefully that's still possible. I have the original sales brochure and the van has been kept in its original configuration as a 12(!) Seater. Now wondering if that still classes it as a commercial vehicle. Would be a shame to have to turn it into a camper after all these years.

·
Premium Member
15,566 Posts
What BB said.

From memory;

At least two windows on one side, plus one on the other.
Fixed seating/bed combo.
Fixed cooking/kitchen facilities.
A table. Must fix into the van, but can be removed/moved for sleeping/travelling.

There's a page on the DVLA website somewhere.

Things have tightened up recently, due to everyone trying to avoid zones/tariffs, but it's still possible if it's been converted to a genuine camper.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should exempt by age/tax class?

Other ULEZ exempt vehicles

All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ
That's what I thought too, but I've had a letter saying otherwise and entering the reg in the ULEZ Checker confirms it. It became MOT exempt last year. I'm assuming it's because the logbook describes it as a 'delivery van', therefore a commercial vehicle, which means it has to be a pre '73.
Point 6 here:

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,734 Posts
I’m not sure quite what is going on with the system. My Land-Rover should be ulez exempt as a historic vehicle (1960 registered), but I also got a letter from the DVLA. When I went online to check it said I was liable. You can fill in a form to register if you think that there’s an error, which I have dim recollections of doing once before, but I tried to do again. It didn’t let me complete the process though, it just came back saying that my vehicle was already registered on the ulez system and was exempt.

I think there’s some kind of hiccup between the DVLA record, hence the letter, and the ulez system, particularly if you have already registered it.

I can only suggest that you log on and register the van, because it should be exempt due to its age.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m not sure quite what is going on with the system. My Land-Rover should be ulez exempt as a historic vehicle (1960 registered), but I also got a letter from the DVLA. When I went online to check it said I was liable. You can fill in a form to register if you think that there’s an error, which I have dim recollections of doing once before, but I tried to do again. It didn’t let me complete the process though, it just came back saying that my vehicle was already registered on the ulez system and was exempt.

I think there’s some kind of hiccup between the DVLA record, hence the letter, and the ulez system, particularly if you have already registered it.

I can only suggest that you log on and register the van, because it should be exempt due to its age.
Thanks. I've found the gov page for registering if you need to show that your vehicle should be exempt.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts

Unfortunately it's virtually impossible to get your van reclassified as a camper now (mainly due to ulez exemptions). Even the pro convertors are struggling. Your van must have a fixed high top (pop tops not allowed), full camping interior and plastered in naff 'camper van' graphics. My mate converted a high top sprinter - ticked every box on their list (full pro standard motorhome - windows, full bathroom, kitchen, sleeping area, water tanks etc). Refused him on not enough graphics to look like a camper. 12 months of fighting later and he won on appeal and got it reclassified.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately it's virtually impossible to get your van reclassified as a camper now (mainly due to ulez exemptions). Even the pro convertors are struggling. Your van must have a fixed high top (pop tops not allowed), full camping interior and plastered in naff 'camper van' graphics. My mate converted a high top sprinter - ticked every box on their list (full pro standard motorhome - windows, full bathroom, kitchen, sleeping area, water tanks etc). Refused him on not enough graphics to look like a camper. 12 months of fighting later and he won on appeal and got it reclassified.
Wow. A fixed high top? Hopefully won't have to go down that road.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,734 Posts
You shouldn't need to get it reclassified as anything. As historic, it should be exempt.

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
As long as you have “Historic Vehicle” as the taxation class it’ll be exempted from ULEZ charges regardless of what the website states.

·
Chat Slapper
474 Posts
Just to echo/confirm what others have said above, I emailed TfL about my '73 GT and they said:

"As your vehicle ******L is classed as a 'Historic Vehicle' we can confirm that it is exempt from the ULEZ charge.

Please note that our VRM checker only checks the emission standard of the vehicle and will not state if your vehicle is exempt, unless you try to pay the charge to drive in the zone."

Michael

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
Hi! I have a 1979 bay window bus that was purchased brand new by my father as a Devon conversion bus. It has twin sliding doors, bench seats and windows all round, but for some reason it's classed as a delivery van on the logbook and therefore soon subject to ULEZ. can I get the DVLA to change this to minibus to avoid the charge or would it have to be converted to a camper? Anyone know?

Thanks.
My Devon camper shows delivery van for the model but Motor Caravan for body type on the V5C, might be worth double checking yours.

The most you’d get now is Van with windows when changing the classification.

Also don’t trust the online TFL checker, even though mines classed as Motor Caravan and Historic, it still says I’m due to pay ULEZ.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My Devon camper shows delivery van for the model but Motor Caravan for body type on the V5C, might be worth double checking yours.

The most you’d get now is Van with windows when changing the classification.

Also don’t trust the online TFL checker, even though mines classed as Motor Caravan and Historic, it still says I’m due to pay ULEZ.
So what do you plan to do about your van? I haven't got round to doing anything about mine yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts