Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am retro fitting a vac advance distrubutor to a friends 67 split and have exhausted my supplies of the metal pipe that fits between the dizzy & carb.

Can I simply make one (to the correct pattern) from some 3/16" brake pipe or do i need to get the diameters the same?? i.e. greater diameter therefore more time taken to pull the vaccum, affecting the advance curve etc or doesn't it matter that much??

·
Registered
231 Posts
I made mine from brake pipe, I measured using drills at 0.1 increments to find the bore, one batch of brake pipe I had was almost identical, the other about 0.2 - 0.3 away.

My question though is why did VW go to the trouble of having a long metal pipe with those particular bends in?

Is it important? If so do you need to keep the bends the same or just the volume of it, so it would be a good idea to keep the bore and length the same?

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is important as it stops any petrol running from the carb into the diaphragm of the dizzy and rotting it and also from preventing the correct operation of the advance mech

1 - 7 of 7 Posts