Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got some wear in the stearing on my 72 bug.

i've had it on the ramps at the tyre place and it looks like the upper ball joint gaitors need replacing and possibly the upper bj's themselves. Plus both of the inner track rod joints are worn and need replacing. The steering box seems to be ok though and both outer track rod ends have been replaced pretty recently. I've got a ball joint clamp tool, the one with the bolt not the fork type.

Do i need any other special tools and will i need to get the petrol tank out to do this? Also, is it difficult to replace the upper ball joints completely?

cheers

Paul

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
when i did mine i did it on the road and it was easier to take the tank out, but i think it may depend on where you have to work on it.

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
You don't need to remove the tank. The t/rod ends can easily be replaced without any more special tools but you'll need to get the tracking reset afterwards. The ball joints need to be pressed out and back in using an hydraulic press so you'll need to remove the torsion arms and take them somewhere to be done. Make sure you know how they go back in the arms, read your manual. The camber and tracking will need resetting afterwards.

·
Registered
143 Posts
have you checked the steering box? Vague steering on my '66 was donw to a nackered old 'box. a new one for £60 fixed it right up....

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pearlwhite said:
have you checked the steering box? Vague steering on my '66 was donw to a nackered old 'box. a new one for £60 fixed it right up....
when you turn the wheel the arm on the steering box reacts instantly but the 2 inner joints on it look to have wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts