Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a Bus or Beetle more secure?? A few pikeys :eek: have been taking an unusual interest in my van and a friend had some follow him home, watch him put the van in the garage and then drove off. So I'm thinking I need to increase security, recommondations please??

·
Registered
26,995 Posts
yeh decent alarm.......dont bother taking leads and stuff off......the sort of people that nick vans to order will expect that :eek:

·
Registered
885 Posts
A big sticker saying "if you steel my bus i will hunt you down and rip off your arms and legs sew them back on the wrong way round then kill you!"
Or maybe a good imboliser and a pop off steering wheel :)

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Fit an alarm. Fit a second siren on the inside of the car. Everyone ignores car alarms. The scum wont ignore 130db in their ear for long ;)

Dont bother with the latest bells and whistles thatcham approved whatnot, because immobilsers on cars with mechanical fuel pumps arent effective. The extra expense you pay for Thatcham approved fitting isnt worth the little bit you can save on your insurance.

If you want an expensive 2/3 circuit immobiliser, fit an electric fuel pump. you cant immobilise a manual pump with an alarm ;)

Alternatively look on ebay for people selling old model Thatcham approved alarms for you to self fit. Its not hard, and by doing it yourself you will get a quality alarm without paying the £££ for Thatcham approved fitting which will only give you a little off your insurance, and make no difference to its "nickability"

Hidden switches are a waste of time too. By all means fit them, but dont rely on them to stop anyone who has any idea what they are doing

Steering locks, gearstick locks, and those posts that you concrete into the ground are effective deterrents. If you fit a disclok, park your car against a wall if possible, and turn the steering into the wall.

Put as much between your car and the pikeys as you can. Another car is good. 2 is better. If you have newer, harder to steal cars, always block your old motor in with them. park them right up to the bumpers if its in the street.

Old bugs and buses get stolen because they are an easy target. And have a high value.

The fact is, if they want it, they'll take it. If they cant drive it, they'll drag it. If they cant drag it they'll pick it up with a hiab. If they cant do any of these, they'll go looking for another that they can...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what do you think, an alarm with at least motion and electrical sensors probably worth getting one with battery back up as well.
Does any body make one of those gear stick locks for buses??

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Sound advice, User Name :)

i saw in a land rover mag, a device that clamps over all three pedals, and locks from underneath, looked very effective in theory, anyone have any experience of these, or know whether one would work on a dub? :)

When my van's back on the road it'll have a hidden switch of some'sorts somewhere, and possibly a fuel cut-off switch hidden somewhere too... and parking another car infront of it is always a good idea, we've got a crappy yaris daily parked infront of the van and the bug, and they both have the batteries disconnected, or removed all together if left for any longer than a week.

it's so sad that we all NEED to take these measures to keep our dubs safe :(

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
fit an alarm with battery back up and dual sirens,get an inline electric fuel shut off valve connected to ure alarm and fit a tracker so even if it is stolen you will get it back worth every penny in my opinion

·
Registered
480 Posts
I got wireless miniture camera inside the van and bloody great wheel clamp on mine. Anyone gets the clamp off i would have a good picture of their face. failing this you could always connect the garage door to the mains!!!! LOL :D

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
How easy/possible is it to remove and refit an alarm?

I've got a Nova that i'm scrapping but it's got a TOAD alarm in it that i'd like in my bug.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
yellowcamperman said:
I got wireless miniture camera inside the van and bloody great wheel clamp on mine. Anyone gets the clamp off i would have a good picture of their face. failing this you could always connect the garage door to the mains!!!! LOL :D
what camera are you using?

I have the facility to run this system, but up until now ive only been able to record over wireless through my in car PC. Which is a pain cos it means leaving it on all night.

I take it its 12v? Is it infra red too?

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
dont fit 2nd hand stuff,alarms only have a shelf life of about 2 to 3 yrs anyways so get a new fitted by a competent fitter as they know the ins and outs and tricks.they solder the wires and do it properly.but tracker ftw

·
Registered
480 Posts
User Name said:
what camera are you using?

I have the facility to run this system, but up until now ive only been able to record over wireless through my in car PC. Which is a pain cos it means leaving it on all night.

I take it its 12v? Is it infra red too?
I paid £30 for it and it runs of 12v battery. Got cracking little range on it. it the same as they use in certain shops.

:D

·
Registered
480 Posts
true but i bought this for a different reason and just thought when i had solved one problem with it it would be cheaper to do this with it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
User Name said:
The fact is, if they want it, they'll take it. If they cant drive it, they'll drag it. If they cant drag it they'll pick it up with a hiab. If they cant do any of these, they'll go looking for another that they can...
My favorite if I could aford it is the demountable steering wheel. However I have had success with the hidden switch to the electric fuel pump in a Mini. The bastards got it started, but only went 250 yards on what was in the float chambers.

Have to say most things are only a deterant.

Some bloke had his hot tub, (including the water) lifted out of his garden by a hiab that reached over the fence from the lane next door!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts