Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....Or Baja bus or whatever you want to call it, meet Suzi Syncro.

Ill be giving her a winter makeover starting tonight when my garages at work are free.

It'll be slow going but over the next few months i plan to get her ship shape and looking lovely for next years show season.
This thread is more of an incentive to keep me going as well as a point of interest for evryone else! Now i know shes not strictly aircooled (well not at all actually!) but after my 67 bug she is a fantastic daily driver and an ace party bus too!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well last night was loads of fun! I have at last started! My main aims for this van is to mainly get it all working efficiently and safely and also to get it looking good too!

I knew some of the wiring was, well, dodgy to say the least but it removing the interior made it all the more apparant!

Quick pic before. The interior looks nice but whoever did the conversion from caravelle just kinda threw the interior in. Screwing it into the doorcards, headliner etc with no real prep for a lonlasting conversion!

After removing all my crap from the interior (i'd forgotten how much there was!) I started removing the first unit and was confronted with real spagetti wiring, earth grounds just screwed through panels and basically a real mess!

Its surprising how much room there is in there!!
I didnt get very far with removing much more as it took me ages to sort and label all the wiring for the stereo, zig unit, webasto heater and the van loom.

Zig unit:

As you can see its a real mess but im getting there!

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Looks good dude ! saw you the other day in north town gave you a flash i was in a new silver Polo ( My G.F not mine ) :D :hangloose

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
hicksy said:
Hey dude, wondered who that was that flashed me! Hows your van coming along?
yeah good ! getting a bit board though as usual ! :rolleyes: may sell it soon want a split ! this will Probably change by next week ! :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I knew the battery and tray was in a bad way. In the past an old battery had leaked acid all over the tray and stripped it of paint so that'll be cleaned and taken back to bear metal in time then POR 15'd. But in the mean time my main aim was to sort this lot out!

There were cables from all over attached to both terminals so i thought id clean it all up and reduce it down to just the power cable for the stereo. I will find the original cable in the van loom eventually so the stereo will yurn on and off with the ignition:

So after about 4 hours of work last night i was left with this, a pretty spartan interior but nicely sorted electrics and clean and tidy space! Im having to tidy after ive finished working on it each day as it is my daily and the garage i use isnt mine either!

When tearing the van to bits i found this! a french ski resort map! Ive also dicovered numerous tools, about £3 in change so far, a 1Euro coin and a swiss Half franc!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Looks like fun! Kind of inspiring me to do some work on my van...but it's cold in the evenings.

At least it fits in the garage even at that height,my bay needs lowering to fit in my garage :crazy:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
halfpint_fighter said:
Looks like fun! Kind of inspiring me to do some work on my van...but it's cold in the evenings.

At least it fits in the garage even at that height,my bay needs lowering to fit in my garage :crazy:
Get it done, you know you wanna slam it. the syncro is probably going higher!!!

More updates soon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts