Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Viking Volksfest 2006 (Sept 29-Oct 1st) yesterday (Saturday, 30th). We were going to make a weekend of it, camp, etc, but a combination of Sunday's weather forecast and having to have the kitchen cleared out for builders coming on Monday, meant we only made a one day dash to it. Pity, as it looks like the evening entertainments were going to be good with a 70's disco, dj's and Blues Brother's tribute band.

We should've taken Bertie, it's what we bought him for - going away to shows and general tootling about at the weekend. But he failed his MOT a few weeks ago, and it's been a case of getting the time to sort him out. But we should be working on him next weekend (weather willing).

So we went in my daily driver, Daisy, instead (yellow car in the background of the pic below). It would at least be a good test to see how she was running, and to see if the MPG had improved after stripping her carb, and resetting her timing. Links to info on the work we're doing on both Daisy and Bertie in my signature.

The metallic blue car in the background was lovely. Blokes first time he'd ever built a car - or worked on a car. Never done a service or anything on one before. Talk about going in at the deep end!

This idea didn't quite work. Combination of tombstone headlight shape tunneling, and mini-style lights, didnt' quite work. However, replace the lights with something like the bullet lights from the back of an old Chevy, or similar, maybe making them come out horizantal, and it'd work well (IMHO).

A pleasant surprise for me was seeing Billabug for the first time in many many years. I remember how jaw droppingly awesome this car was when it first came out. Nice revamp of it. So many tricks on this car, every trick in the book - and then some!
I didn't get a shot of the whole car, as I was too busy admiring the details.

Everybody go "awwww". Battery operated kids car, with Fuch's on.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Want to bare metal your car/van, but want to keep it on the road. Then strip the layers of paint and filler, and rattle can it with clear coat. That's what this dude's doing with his splittie.
An import from Thailand. It's had most of the lower edges replaced (ie the usual bottom 6-8 inches) repaired by the previous owner/s out there, and a superb job they've done of it too, as can be seen, now the paint and filler's gone. Apparently it seems to have been used as a taxi, and used to have 1967VW in its original registration, according to the Thai equivelent of a tax disc that came with it.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the other hand, you could just bare metal your car, and let it go au natrelle! I reckon they should add a smear of natural yoghurt to the body, to encourage a bit of algae to grow too.
I think this car is for sale at the moment, for just over 1K. I didn't look too closely, but if it's got a good chassis, runs well, heaters, etc, then it'd be fun to run "as is" for a few years while sorting out a new shell and panels for it. Just depends upon what it's like underneath and mechanicly. Fun idea though.

Speaking of fun. Tiger Lilly...

Only need Clarence the cross-eyed lion to complete the Daktari look.

To complete the look (Safari look???), you have to have matching covered tea, coffee, and sugar jars too.

Speaking of fun. A drunken purchase. (But I want some for Daisy too).

Search for Radio Flyer on VZi for the build up of this trailer. Really works well, now I've seen it in the flesh.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The farmer who owns the land must be a hippy/pagan at heart, as he's errecting his own circle of standing stones on the hillside overlooking the showground.

Found it hard not to laugh at the kids trying to look/act all pagan and mysterious while I was up there. The cheeky looks they gave each other gave it away. And what was with the sticks? - Morris dancing? Noooooooo! Run away!

Noticed that this little green '70 has the same sort of inspiration that a previous owner/builder of Daisy has had - remove bumpers, indicators, shave trim strips and bonnet handle, etc. So I couldn't resist a pic.

Dude that owned this van has just finished restoring a gorgeous early split for his son, and while working on the resto, was offered this splittie for silly cheap money (and he was pining for his old superbly restored, magazine featured Bay). The primer look from the waist down wasn't exactly exciting, so when the call went out at a show for volunteers to have their vans sprayed by local art students, in he stepped.

And his son's splittie. Filmore inspired eyes.

More splitties.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bootsy said:
great pics and descriptions!
Cheers!
Would've taken more if I'd been there today too (and a hell of a lot more if I'd had a better camera). But other things that needed doing today.
Weather wise, it's only just been thundering and raining here today (Sunday), though there was a bit in the night, so I reckon everything would've dried out and been packed up before the rain came back, and they've been lucky with the weather.
Will have to make this event next year, as it's cheap, fairly close by, and has a nice cosy feeling to it.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
metric_thumbs said:
Yeah - great pics, commentary and presentation.

Have you got a pony tail? :)
Nope, not yet. Would take to long to grow one. :( Maybe I could buy a clip on one, just for show. :D
Aha! eBay comes up trumps again! Didn't know they had a wig section!

VillageLass said:
Last time I looked no he didn't, but if he grew his hair a pony tail would like quite entertaining
:confused: Cheeky. What if I grew one on my chin instead?

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
I've started a domestic!!

A pony-tail in my computer world means the guys who do layout and design on web pages. We, the real men, do build the site and the logic etc.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
metric_thumbs said:
A pony-tail in my computer world means the guys who do layout and design on web pages.
Ah, you learn something new every day. I just love photography, so that's where I'm coming from. Being a bit arty-farty, does that mean I can "wear" a pony-tail then? :D

VillageLass said:
just stay the way you are - or else!!!
That's it! I'm growing one then! :p ...And changing my name to something pretentious sounding. :D

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
All I can say is everyone who didnt go missed out on a really top weekend.

Fun was had by all in so many different ways and only having to travel 40 mins was a real bonus for once.

Had a great time with Posh as F##K club celebrating Jaqui Lous birthday although I was made to wear a bloody pink frilly dress!!!! :eek:

Thanks go out to Steve and Daz for a great weekend
top work Guys.....pics to follow!

·
Registered
15,027 Posts
So Nic you were one of the degenerates in pink we parked near!! :D

Looked like you guys were having a great time but being shy i didn't pop over to say hello!!

Had a great time even though i couldnt get the rock and roll bed to work in the new wedge (another job on the list)

Will be there all weekend next time.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Mr_Wobble said:
Would be fun to have made as a full blown chromed badge on the front.

Hey thats the 'Clubless Dubbers' logo ;)

If youd of looked all our vans in that collection in the top right corner had the said logo in there back window ;)

;)

Goood weekend, Goooood weather, Gooood company, Gooood beer & A Gooooooood atmosphere, If you were the chap we shouted at after you took the pic, we were actually gonna give you a free 'Clubless' logo for your ride ;)

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
beetleragtop said:
So Nic you were one of the degenerates in pink we parked near!! :D

Looked like you guys were having a great time but being shy i didn't pop over to say hello!!

Had a great time even though i couldnt get the rock and roll bed to work in the new wedge (another job on the list)

Will be there all weekend next time.
Awww you should have come over, although if you weren't in pink you may have looked a little weird :) You could have warmed yourself on our little well contained fire!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts