Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Does anyone have any information on a possible production error on the VW beetle when they changed from the 1972 model with no vent to 73 which has the moon shaped vent on the rear pillar. I was chatting to a VW resoration guy who told me that when the factory was changing the production to the newer 73 shape an error on the production line occured where the body panel was stamped with the moon vent imprint/recess but didnt go through the next step of having the shape cut out. He seemed to think about 60 vehicles left the production line without having the moon vents properly fitted. I have looked in a couple of VW beetle books but can't find any reference to this information being out there. Does anyone have any idea? or leads?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Some later cars came with the indents and no vents. After some google image searches it looks like 1200 base model cars after 1971.

Tire Car Vehicle Window Wheel

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Hi, Does anyone have any information on a possible production error on the VW beetle when they changed from the 1972 model with no vent to 73 which has the moon shaped vent on the rear pillar. I was chatting to a VW resoration guy who told me that when the factory was changing the production to the newer 73 shape an error on the production line occured where the body panel was stamped with the moon vent imprint/recess but didnt go through the next step of having the shape cut out. He seemed to think about 60 vehicles left the production line without having the moon vents properly fitted. I have looked in a couple of VW beetle books but can't find any reference to this information being out there. Does anyone have any idea? or leads?
Thanks.
A cute story but completely made-up, or somebody simply repeating information with no regard as to the source or accuracy. This kind of misinformation typifies the internet age - it's a little like the self-proclaimed 'experts' who fit 009 distributors, fuel filters in the engine bay and chromed pancake air filters to stock motors, so monkey-see-monkey-do folks assume it's the right thing to do with little to zero thought in the matter...

Reactions: al_kaholik

·
Registered
1972 1302S European Super Beetle. Was in storage in Bavaria for 40 years before being resurrected.
3 Posts
I own a 1302 produced on 11 May 1972 and it has the vents. Based upon the 1302-1303 parts microfiche ALL 1302 and 1303 models with the larger than 1200 engines were all stamped with the vent hole. As for effectiveness, that is questionable. My car was in storage in Germany (Bavaria) for 39 years and 9 months so much is OEM. It had some work done after coming out of storage and some trim parts were stolen when the window rubber was replaced. My car is a 1302S Deluxe; Lapis Blue cloth upholstery, Marina Blue paint and non-perforated printed dot headliner. It has a crack-free padded dash, the large steering wheel chest protector with collapsing column, ATE front disc brakes and a Solex PICT34-4 carburetor. My fuel filter is located to the left and slightly over the transmission. The heater pipes are some what flexible plated, galvanized maybe, steel covered with a sewn insulation blanket. There are red rubber covers that help to seal in the heat at each end of the heater hose from the heater box to the car interior. I need two replacements. They feel like silicone rubber.
I have a friend in Germany that owns his mother's 1971 1200. It has no rear quarter vents but it is a Super Beetle body with the laid-down spare tire in the frunk. It does have the horn vents through the front fenders. None of the German built cars for '71 and '72 have the high back seats you see in cars for North America. My '72 has the low back seats and only directional signals on the front fenders. The parking light is in the headlight reflector. Directional signal lens in front and back are yellow, brake light is red. My car has the same size tail light lens as the 1968 models. The right rear fender may have been replaced since the rear tail light on that side is 25mm lower than the left side tail light. Rear fender rolled edges appear to be identical.
When I got my carin 2019 it had the original bias ply spare tire, Fulda 560X15, and the wheel was blue, not silver. The tire still has the little rubber tabs all over the side walls. I don't think it was ever used.

·
Registered
1972 1302S European Super Beetle. Was in storage in Bavaria for 40 years before being resurrected.
3 Posts
Thanks.
The 1302 models with 1300 and 1600 engines came with the vent. 1302 with the 1200 engine did not come with vents. Sixty cars would have never made it off the production lines with that mistake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A cute story but completely made-up, or somebody simply repeating information with no regard as to the source or accuracy. This kind of misinformation typifies the internet age - it's a little like the self-proclaimed 'experts' who fit 009 distributors, fuel filters in the engine bay and chromed pancake air filters to stock motors, so monkey-see-monkey-do folks assume it's the right thing to do with little to zero thought in the matter...
VW did offer a metal body fuel filter as an accessory that was installed on the left side of the engine fan tin. Two retaining screws were added to hold it in place. This necessitated the cutting of the metal fuel pipe that came in from the back of the engine. If you like I can take a picture and add it here so you all can see what the OEM installation looked like.
It is my understanding that the 009 distributor only came in one of the bus models that was intended for delivery services. Mechanical advance was more than sufficient for this service. My '72 originally came with a dry paper element engine air filter and some sob replaced it with an oil bath. Oil bath works very well in engines run at near constant speeds, but they do not clean as well as a paper element. Oil bath also requires more maintenance that they rarely receive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts