Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably been asked before, but does anyone have a link to a cross reference chart for VW Paint codes to RAL codes ?
I'm trying to find the RAL code for the VW L 91Z "Atlas White" colour.
My 1974 1200 Beetle was originally in white, and L 91Z appears to be the only White available on Beetles of that year.
The car was later resprayed in Senegal Red, but am thinking of returning it to original.

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
Dunno about that. I was intrigued so went looking on Ral colour chart and only the classic range appeared to have names attached to the numbers. None of the names matched the VW name. Probably best bet is asking a paint supply shop. Being in Oz I don't recall seeing a number code on the swatch cards when I've been researching colours.

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, my local Paint shop uses Lechler colour codes, they can usually find it from the VW code, or they can 'colour match' from a sample, so I'm sure I can get the right shade, I was just interested to check other suppliers who seem to want the RAL code.

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
Thanks, my local Paint shop uses Lechler colour codes, they can usually find it from the VW code, or they can 'colour match' from a sample, so I'm sure I can get the right shade, I was just interested to check other suppliers who seem to want the RAL code.
Rather interesting. I got a few genuine Glasurit test pots made up and then the equivalent in the DeBeer range I like using. Spray them all out and it's really obvious if the Debeer matches the Glasurit or not. Sometimes it's due to Glasurit having more variants of the original colour than the Debeer range but for pre-70's colours there shouldn't be any variants so should be relatively easy to get what you want.

In saying that though if the UK now uses RAL codes then by giving them the Glasurit code you'd think they would have some cross reference table or something?

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Why do you need a RAL code, even if there was a match, which is unlikely.

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why do you need a RAL code, even if there was a match, which is unlikely.
Not sure if I needed it, but curious to see if there is/was a Cross Reference to VW colour codes.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Not sure if I needed it, but curious to see if there is/was a Cross Reference to VW colour codes.
You shouldn't do, any colour I have ever thrown at a paint supplier they have been able to mix!

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You shouldn't do, any colour I have ever thrown at a paint supplier they have been able to mix!
You are right, I just gave the VW Colour Code to my local paint shop, they just asked when I needed it :D

·
Registered
21,411 Posts
I didn't know there was an x ref chart?
I had a major problem as wanted to use L73 chestnut brown and 2 different companies sent me a totally wrong colour in both 2k and 1k. It seems some of the older colours can't be mixed from vw codes any longer. I think it has something to do with the change of what additives can be put in the paint now such as lead and stuff buy not entirely sure.
In the end I just chose a colour off the RAL chart instead which was close but tbh not what I actually wanted. Hey ho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts