Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:
Can anyone help me please, basically, i havent driven my beetle since last monday, the puddle of water that is in my rear footwell has gotten larger and it is clean water, seeing as the car is literally sat on my drive i decided to sit in it and have a look, o.k the passenger door seal could do with being replaced but dont think its this as it doesnt seem wet at all around the door and when sat inside the car you canot see outside anywhere around the door so i am presuming this is probably ok, but i did notice that there is water slowly dripping from the passenger rear quarter window in the very back quarter corner. It seems to be building up then dripping down then running down the panel itself into the footwell. On closer inspection i have also noticed that under the actual seal feels likethereis some rust bubbles coming up which is why i presume the seal is possibly failing on me, the drivers side looks like it could have the same problem come up too as well soon as rust is slowly coming up on the surface in the same area. Anyway to cut a long story short, is there an easy way to fix it or do i need to take the rear windows out to repair them then put them back in with new seals and also if thats the case how easy is it to take the windows out and put them back in again afterwards and does anyone recommend anything to use on them.:eek::eek::eek: Any help gratefully appreciated both with answers to the trouble and anyone fancying helping me do it. I'm in Frome, Somerset!!!:)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A common fault. Try squirting clear silicon sealant (the kitchen stuff) into the gap between the glass and the rubber. Go at least a coupleof inches up the sides, and try not to have any 'breaks' in the run o sealant. You may need to open the gap a bit using a fine blade. Do inside and outside.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,589 Posts
Aftermarket rubber seals are often the cause of this as they let water in between rubber and bodywork, and eventually it starts to rust it's way through. The bottom edges behind the rubbers on all my beetle fixed glass is covered in surface rust due to West Coast Metric window seals. - it's also eaten right through in the windscreen corners.

Silicon sealer will botch it up for a while but if you want to do it right then remove all the fixed glass, wire brush on angle grinder to take all loose paint and rust out, weld up any holes that shouldn't be there (there's supposed to be drain holes in the windscreen lower corners and the rear window lower corners).

I'm then prepping with Metal ready and painting with POR15, so it should be a pretty permanent repair. You'll then need to get it painted the same as the body colour (maybe an excuse for a full respray)

I'd advise getting top quality new rubber seals from either VW themselves, or Status VW. I'll be going to Status for mine as soon as the car's ready.

Dave.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mr whippy, that was more like the info i was looking for, i shall have a look at status now, and the car is hopefully getting a full respray this summer as have the paint and compressor already, just gotta get nicer weather and car ready for it, Have sorted rust everywhere else and cannot find anymore on outside, the interior side is literally just the bit around window so hopefully will be sorted soon, How do i take the rear windows out then?? I should be getting a garage next week so will have space to get extra's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts