Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am i being a right muppet? I can't figure out how to stop the water pump pulley rotating so i can undo the 3 13mm bolts on it so i can adjust the drive belt.

Please help, i can't sleep at night!

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
On those blocks the belt is tensioned by the alternator unless it has the much later arrangement with 2 belts. either way the 3 bolts in the middle of the pulley hold it on and have nothing to do with adjustment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does have 2 belts, crankshaft to water pump, then water pump to alternator via a double pulley. I've tried adjusting the alternator belt and it doesn't seem to have any effect on the tension between the crankshaft and water pump belt. There doesn't appear to be any way of adjusting the tension of this belt, so I've assumed it must be done by splitting the pulley and removing a shim.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I'm working from memory on this one, which ain't what it used to be. The last time I saw a 1.6 TDi it used the alternator belt to tension everything. I have a 1.9 TDi which is essentially the same block. The water pump is bolted solidly to the side of the block and in my case (Audi) the power steering pump tensions the water pump as well. So is there a tensioner somewhere underneath? For instance the alternator on the 1.9 lump uses and idler system. The pulley does not split like an air-cooled. If you do want to get the pulley off the trick is to get an old v-belt pull it into the groove and pull it as tight as possible which should hold the pulley enough to loosen the bolts after a good soaking with Plusgas or similar

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got it off with the help off the wife leaning on a crowbar jammed between the waterpump pulley flange and the engine casing whilst leant on the spanner. Off to Halfords now to find some belts. Cheers for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts