Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My van wasn't running particularly well, so I've done the full works; New coil, electronic ignition,8mm leads, rotor, cap, plugs & air filter. Adjusted valve clearances, set timing,oil & strainer change. The stock silencer was blowing so I've fitted a new 4-1 with single quietpack. This has sorted most of the problem, but it's still not right. The idle is a little high & erratic and there's a little hesitation sometimes and I'm only getting 15mpg

I'd like to get the carb set up properly before I get her to a garage to see an expert. Can anyone talk me through setting up the carb properly. Unless of course there's anything I've overlooked.

If it helps at all the van is a 1600TP with single quietpack and a 009

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would check the following:-

Electric choke operation - mine was not working at all so I have tie-wrapped it open 'temporarily'.

Sticking cables - the 32/36 is notoriously difficult to set-up the linkage effectively. You WILL need to add a bracket to the manifold and add an extra return spring to pull back the throttle arm.

Air leaks - check for leaks on the rubber/silicone manifold joints.

Mixture screw - at the back (front?) of carb agaisnt the fan housing
screw in then back out 2 turns approx then (if you can do this without burning yourself, catching you tie/hair/beard in the fan belt)adjust back/forth for best idle.

If you want to you can dismantle the carb to check jet sizes but
this is a PITA as it means removing the generator (well it does on mine..)
Cheers

james

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right,

I had already checked for air leaks at the head, manifold runners and carb joint. All OK

Choke is working perfectly. Closed when cold, fully open after about 3 minutes.

There is a return spring which pulls back all the way. The cable operates freely and there is a support bar fitted.

Jets should be ok because it was rolling roaded a year ago and was fine then, although it's possible it might need to go up one size on the main jet due to the better exhaust.

Thanks for the advice all. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello Russ
Who did you use for the rolling road, as my buggy could do with a set up. Ive changed the jets but i think it could be better.
Thanks Paulus.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
popcorn balls said:
How did you check that the choke was working? i suspect mine isn't but don't know what to look for

Sorry to thread crash :eek:
With a cold engine, ignition off, remove the air filter, Check that the chokes are closed (horizontal) Turn the ignition on and watch for the chokes to turn to the open (vertical) position. This should take no more than four minutes.

If this doesn't work, drop me a PM and I'll talk you through possible causes

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
paulus said:
Hello Russ
Who did you use for the rolling road, as my buggy could do with a set up. Ive changed the jets but i think it could be better.
Thanks Paulus.
I use B.D.Engineering in Newington, Kent 01795 843980. They're excellent. Always busy so you may have to wait a week or so to get booked in.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
RUSS74GHIA said:
With a cold engine, ignition off, remove the air filter, Check that the chokes are closed (horizontal) Turn the ignition on and watch for the chokes to turn to the open (vertical) position. This should take no more than four minutes.

Cheers dude, will do.

When you say turn the ignition on, do you mean just the ignition or start the engine?

I'm guessing my trouble is the choke beacause once it's running it's fine, and starts easily there after - BUT leave it overnight and it's a pig to start.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
popcorn balls said:
Cheers dude, will do.

When you say turn the ignition on, do you mean just the ignition or start the engine?

I'm guessing my trouble is the choke beacause once it's running it's fine, and starts easily there after - BUT leave it overnight and it's a pig to start.
Either, it doesn't matter, but if you're going to be poking around in there with your Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen sleeves, just the ignition on will be fine.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
RUSS74GHIA said:

You got PM :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Same problem

RUSS74GHIA said:
My van wasn't running particularly well, so I've done the full works; New coil, electronic ignition,8mm leads, rotor, cap, plugs & air filter. Adjusted valve clearances, set timing,oil & strainer change. The stock silencer was blowing so I've fitted a new 4-1 with single quietpack. This has sorted most of the problem, but it's still not right. The idle is a little high & erratic and there's a little hesitation sometimes and I'm only getting 15mpg

I'd like to get the carb set up properly before I get her to a garage to see an expert. Can anyone talk me through setting up the carb properly. Unless of course there's anything I've overlooked.

If it helps at all the van is a 1600TP with single quietpack and a 009
Sorry new to this. My Van has been experiencing the same sort of problem and i wonder what has sorted yours out so i can check it out also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts