Volkszone Forum banner

Weber 34 ICT's - very sticky throttle shaft

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  2-1-3 
#1 ·
Hi,
Just fitted my beetles 1300 TP engine with a set of Weber (spanish not empi) 34ICT Carbs. It runs pretty well but the RHS carb (as you look at the engine) is sticking really badly. It only sticks at idle (throttle almost closed) and is really difficult to push past this and overcome it. The rest of the throttle range is fine, only at tickover it sticks.
The sticking means that when i press the throttle the LHS carb opens way before the right, then finally the right will open when i press harder. Makes it a pig to drive.
Isn't tight at all when the nut on the spindle is removed. only when this is tightened (really really really loosely!) the stickiness starts. The tighter i do the nut, the stickier it gets. The LHS carb has no issues whatsoever!

So, what can i do to fix this? I've removed the carb and have it ready to work on. What can i do? Has anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks for reading,
Max

#2 ·
Undo the screws holding the throttle plate to the throttle shaft so you can remove the throttle shaft. Once removed roll the shaft on a plain piece of glass. You are looking to see if it rolls nice and flat or undulates as it rolls.

If undulates then you have a kink in the shaft and you can straighten it by tapping it with a hammer till it rolls flat.

If it rolls flat then look for scoring and knicks in the shaft where it sits in the carb body bushes. If there are any then remove with a fine file and some 800 wet n dry lubed with WD40.

Put the shaft back in the body without the throttle plate and make sure it rotates freely.

If not then double check the work already done and if good then check the body bushes for carbon deposits and grit and scoring. Scoring will need removal with a reamer or maybe wet n dry around a piece of dowel but go easy with that so as not to oval the bush.

If the shaft now rotates freely but with the plate installed it sticks you now need to look for any scoring or stepping that has worn into the carb body and sand this smooth.

That should hopefully sort everything out.

Oh and heat the throttle plate screw b4 removing as they are normally very tight ;)

#3 ·
Thanks very much!
Sorted it now :).
Didn'y have to remove the shaft, just tightened up the spindle nut (the one that made it sticky) and then loosened off the butterfly screws. Theres a little sideways movement in the plate, and it would seem it was too far over one way, as now i've tightened them back up again in the correct position it's perfectly smooth :).
Thanks anyway!
Max

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.