Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Type 1
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Just looking for a bit of advice on carburettors.

I have a 1500 single port motor with 1600 barrels and pistons, it has a GT 2 tip exhaust on too, aside from that it's stock. The standard 28 pict-2 solex on there is ok but just getting to the point where it needs a rebuild.

I'm not looking to get a huge power increase (although a little wouldn't hurt if possible). So I guess my question is, while I'm about to spend a bit of money on the carb front anyways, is it worth getting a Weber? All thoughts appreciated!

·
Premium Member
8,877 Posts
A 1500 Beetle single port engine should have a 30 PICT 1 or 2 carburettor, depending on the Year.
The 28 PICT 2 is really for an early Transporter or a 1200 Beetle engine, and could be restricting the engine.
I would suggest getting the correct Solex Carb and inlet manifold, you should see a good improvement over the 28 PICT 2, but you may need to change the jetting slightly, to suit your 1600 Barrels & pistons.
I had a similar 1500 with 1600 B&Ps in a 1970 Beetle, and it ran very well with the Solex 30 PICT 2

·
Registered
1965 Type 1
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 1500 Beetle single port engine should have a 30 PICT 1 or 2 carburettor, depending on the Year.
The 28 PICT 2 is really for an early Transporter or a 1200 Beetle engine, and could be restricting the engine.
I would suggest getting the correct Solex Carb and inlet manifold, you should see a good improvement over the 28 PICT 2, but you may need to change the jetting slightly, to suit your 1600 Barrels & pistons.
I had a similar 1500 with 1600 B&Ps in a 1970 Beetle, and it ran very well with the Solex 30 PICT 2
Ah, that would make sense actually. The previous owner told me he blew the OG 1200 motor so sourced this one to replace it, I guess he didnt get a carb with this motor then.

I know that the dizzy is a 67/68 year model so Im guessing that the motor is too. Any idea which 30 pict I need if that's the case?

Any thoughts on the weber also?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
8,877 Posts
Ah, that would make sense actually. The previous owner told me he blew the OG 1200 motor so sourced this one to replace it, I guess he didnt get a carb with this motor then.

I know that the dizzy is a 67/68 year model so Im guessing that the motor is too. Any idea which 30 pict I need if that's the case?

Any thoughts on the weber also?

Cheers!
67 - 68 1500 Beetle engine, (Engine numbers from H 0874200 onwards), would have had a Solex 30 PICT-2 . It will need the correct inlet manifold.
I have no experience of single Weber carbs.

·
Registered
1965 Type 1
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK cool thanks for the help....again!

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
The 1500 was probably the best engine that VW ever put in a Beetle, and incidentally it also had the steepest hill climbing ability! Keep it absolutely bone stock (apart from the extra capacity) and enjoy the low-down torque!

Reactions: M.I.B

·
Highly Respected Member
2,583 Posts
With single port heads it’s not worth the bother as the air flow is much more restricted than twin port heads. Stock set up works best in my view with stock heads.

Reactions: bugbrave

·
Registered
1965 Type 1
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 1500 was probably the best engine that VW ever put in a Beetle, and incidentally it also had the steepest hill climbing ability! Keep it absolutely bone stock (apart from the extra capacity) and enjoy the low-down torque!
I hear you loud and clear on that, and I think you're right, keep it simple👍 he pulls really well to be honest!

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
If you really want to wake the engine up fit twin 34ict Webers. You may also find that that two tip GT exhaust is also more restrictive than a standard system. A header with a single quiet muffler/silencer or a standard box with big bore tailpipes would be a better choice.

Reactions: Big Al and M.I.B

·
Registered
1965 Type 1
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you really want to wake the engine up fit twin 34ict Webers. You may also find that that two tip GT exhaust is also more restrictive than a standard system. A header with a single quiet muffler/silencer or a standard box with big bore tailpipes would be a better choice.
Yeah I definitely want to avoid twins for now I think, I like the simplicity of a single carb. I was looking at a weber 32/36 but it's probably unnecessary.

The GT 2 tip defnately gives it a bit more go, I switched back to the standard exhaust for a while but it really brought the power down, I was surprised just how much by.

Just noticed you're on Anglesey! I'm only over in Snowdonia 👍

·
Premium Member
8,877 Posts
As Manxdavid said, the stock exhaust needs big bore tailpipes to unleash its potential. The stock 'peashooter' tailpipes are a major restriction.

·
Registered
1965 Type 1
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As Manxdavid said, the stock exhaust needs big bore tailpipes to unleash its potential. The stock 'peashooter' tailpipes are a major restriction.
Good to know, I assumed it was the flow through the box itself that caused the restriction.

I actually didn't like the bigger bore tips on the GT so cut them off and welded a couple of pea shooters on there (counter intuitive I know!). The power feels just as good but retains the more original look

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I used to run 1500 engine with a Nikki carb conversion which ran great. A bit old school now though. I've still got the carb up on the shelf in the garage 😄

·
Premium Member
8,877 Posts
This kind of tailpipe is all you need :

My mate runs a Nikki on his Buggy with a 1600 TP engine, goes well.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,409 Posts
This I had a 1500 with an EMPI twin tip. I put Weber 34s, a SVDA and a stock exhaust on it and that Bug flew along, gave nearly 50 to the gallon.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Maybe have a think about converting to twin port heads. You could then fit a progressive weber carb kit and as mentioned previously a single quiet pack exhaust with header.

It'll cost a little more but worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
1965 Type 1
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If
Maybe have a think about converting to twin port heads. You could then fit a progressive weber carb kit and as mentioned previously a single quiet pack exhaust with header.

It'll cost a little more but worth it in the long run.
If I went for twin port heads, would I need to buy new valves and rockers etc to suit? Or to all the bits swap over?

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you want more power, go twin port with dual carbs. Depends on budget. Where it snowballs is buying new heads, carbs, pistons, etc, you'll then need to look at the bottom end. You don't really put a new top end on an old bottom end. If there was no end float and there wasn't a crank grumble for the 1st few seconds on starting from cold I'd consider doing it. The crank grumble can be tested with you in the car, windows up. No radio on, start it from cold and listen for a grumble noise that disappears soon after start up.

·
Premium Member
8,877 Posts
If

If I went for twin port heads, would I need to buy new valves and rockers etc to suit? Or to all the bits swap over?
New heads usually come with valves, (unless you ask for "bare" heads), the rockers and other hardware from 1500 S/P heads will transfer over to new T/P heads, (providing they are in good condition)

·
Registered
1965 Type 1
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New heads usually come with valves, (unless you ask for "bare" heads), the rockers and other hardware from 1500 S/P heads will transfer over to new T/P heads, (providing they are in good condition)
Awesome, I'll look into it a bit more, thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts