Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have recently purchased a Weber carb and i want to fit this to my stock 1.6 engine in my Bay camper but have heard that this can be tricky to tune and may suffer from bad running in cold or wet weather or is this just stories. I am not an expert just an enthusiast so how easy is it to fit and get it right chhers..Rob :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
have one on my 1700 motor runs well easy to tune . but because of the long ilnet does suffer from carb icing until the engine bay is warm.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had one on a bug some time ago - fitted easily and was easy to get going but it suffered from carb iceing badly all year round - a real pain if you use it as a daily driver! I also had a smal flat spot when the 'second' choke kicked in - although I guess this could have been got rid of with the correct jets.

I concluded that it was better than a standard carb - read faster - and just as easy to play with but the constant stalling when 'cold' eventually did my head in and I got some twin carbs and there's no going back then.....

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Got this carb fitted to my brother's bay. What an improvement!

I would suggest making sure you get the pre-heat pipes with the manifold, and also the manifold-to-fuel pump bracket, as it's easy to mash the choke on the fan housing if the carb's not secure.

More importantly I would really recommend getting it set up by an expert. Anyone with a rolling road will do this, but expect to pay around £80 - £100

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Got one on a stock 1600 in my split, love it.Vast improvement i power to the Solex and smoother running. Also damn good on the old dessert juice :cool:

I found this worth printing out

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/carburetor_set_up_and_lean_best_.htm

and this

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/32-36_dfev_parts_breakdown.htm

I agree about gettine a bracket made from fuel pump the carb to hold it steady. It took me ages to find that the chock was shorting on the fan housing when on a bumpy road :rolleyes:

OP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts