Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got one £100 .gas(less) der silly me) mig from aldi bring on the ark eyes .you know its me . coz i will be waring sunglasses for a few weeks

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,408 Posts
I thought the Aldi mig was a gasless welder and arc eye is a terrible affliction get a decent mask, not the crappy ones that come free with the welder.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think my eyes are sensitive i use a mask but still get the burns .maybe just a freak of nature.or am i doing somthing wrong .

·
52,408 Posts
conrad16 said:
i think my eyes are sensitive i use a mask but still get the burns .maybe just a freak of nature.or am i doing somthing wrong .
You can get masks of varying degrees of protection, I need a very dark one, my father uses a slightly lighter one.

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
conrad16 said:
you're doing something wrong and very likelly permanently damaging your eyesight.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep gasless it is a.d.d strkes again .maybe i should open the box and read the tech on it .mrs just come back from shoping with a new mask with 3 lenses i think the darkest it its .

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well you guys are in the no. are they really shit then ? coz i don't want to waste money what do you recommend ?some pointers please guys

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
conrad16 said:
well you guys are in the no. are they really shit then ? coz i don't want to waste money what do you recommend ?some pointers please guys
get a welder that uses gas, Clarke are a good make, buy the best you can afford, cheap welders are frustrating to use.

·
52,408 Posts
I got myself one of these in the sale at Halfords for £150...

It is good enough to tackle all of the jobs on my Bay. The earth clamp and disposable bottle it came with were shit, so I upgraded them to decent clamp for about a fiver and a exchangable bottle for £36.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep i see (pardon the pun) got 7 days to take it back . refunds ahoy it is .and of to halfords it is .the new mask looks good think i will keep that thanks guys

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
clarkson said:
I got myself one of these in the sale at Halfords for £150...

It is good enough to tackle all of the jobs on my Bay. The earth clamp and disposable bottle it came with were shit, so I upgraded them to decent clamp for about a fiver and a exchangable bottle for £36.
I got the 150 amp version delivered to my door for £170. Shop around. I bet you could pick up that SIP migmate for a little over £100.

There have been loads of MIG welders in the stuff for sale section over the last couple of weeks

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
vr666m said:
How much do TIG welders cost?
many pounds. I want one. but not until I've got a plasma cutter, as I want to create a 4th state of matter :D

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Invest in a good mask, don't take the risk!!!

I worked at a garage that had a tired old mask and after welding all day i developed Arc Eye at 2am the following day and had to be rushed to hospital, absolute agony.

48hrs wearing eye bandages isn't funny, i was lucky i didnt do any permanent damage but have done by not using a mask and getting red hot sparks etc in my eye from welding and grinding - permanently scatching the eye surface.

Don't take the risk, its not big and its not clever!

End of serman ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts