Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to get a welder to attack the splitty.

What you got or what do you recommend? :)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I've got a Clarke 150A and find that more than adequate for most tasks. It'll do panels and chassis work.

I can through experience recommend NOT to buy SIP welders. I had one and although it worked for a few years, the wire feed was always causing problems and the weld quality wasn't as good. (Don't know why, it just never felt right)

If you can afford it, look at Cebora stuff on ebay/second hand, they are lovely to weld with.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Snap on migs are made by Cebora. They cost about £650 new. They are really nice units. I picked mine up second hand for about £100. Hardley used. Brilliant mig. I'm well pleased with it

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Portamig ;). Built for proper use. £500 will get you a 180amp machine with a 20amp minimum (perfect for thin stuff). Decent genuine binzel euro torch and a quality regulator. Proper british built kit made for serious long term use.

Get on the www.mig-welding.co.uk forums. ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Another vote for the portamig, VERY good build quality, it really is a fantastic bit of kit.

Before that i had a clarke 150ish amp welder and the one i had was appalling, the wire feed never worked. Returned it twice both times came back the same. However, whilst that was being repaired they loaned me one of the smaller clarke units which worked well(still a couple of wire feed issues though), so the first one could have just been a duff unit - don't help much when you've spent £200ish quid on it though...

Mark B.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
What ever welder you get, make sure it has a steel wire liner as opposed to those nylon ones, they are crap. I bought a cheapo wolf from screwfix and it had a nylon liner, the wire feed would judder and stick, so swapped it for a steel one and it is loverly to weld with.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts