Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever get wire stick to the tip when welding , then as you feed more through it tangles up ?
seams to do it all the time now :rolleyes:
what was the cause ?
cheers

·
Lord Von Hannover
20,583 Posts
what welder?
wire size?

does it only do it when you weld certain thickness metals? if so, what thickness?

:)

·
Registered
584 Posts
could be any number of things, holding the torch too close or could be the wrong wire speed for the current.. If the wirespeed is too slow for the current it will just melt too fast and get stuck on the tip.

·
Registered
166 Posts
could also be your technique try putting the wire speed up a bit to stop it from sticking to the tip. If not :-

check the feed wheel (inside the welder) is set to the correct wire thickness, usually you turn the wheel around depending on the thickness 0.6-0.8mm, and the wire is running in the grove of this wheel and its all tightened up nicely.

check the tip (on the gun) is correct for the wire thickness and if it is in good nick, if its damaged replace it theyre cheap.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
As stated above, but I'd also change the tip (and nozzel) and check the alignment of the wire feed mech.

·
Registered
82 Posts
HI! It sounds to me that you need to set your welders wire tension to stop the 'birdsnesting'.the feed needs to be able to slip slightly when the wire sticks to the contact tip.To do this bend the wire to the side of the torch to simulate a stuck wire .Press the tip to the floor and press the trigger ,the drive rollers should be adjusted off so that they allow the wire to slip just enough to stop the feed when stuck!Make sure there is enough pressure to always feed the wire though.Also,Some of the no gas wires are renowned for this which is why most go for gas with 6mm.Good luck!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
flying pig has hit the nail on the head there!
i think i was tightening it up to much and not alowing it to slip
its a 175 amp clarke on argosheild, so not really cheap or shit!
I replaced the torch on it thinking it was getting stuck inside, replaced tips, i even uped the tip size to .8 and it still sticks.
ive mostly been welding thin sheet metal-so short bursts welding, then next time i press the trigger nothing happens -i look inside the welder and theres a bird nest :rolleyes:
looks like it could be my technique then :smurf:

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
are you letting the nozzel and tip biuld up with spatter? is so you ned to clean it all out, make sure the tip is shiney copper, otherwise it'll just build up and stcik, once it sticks a few tips its new tip time,

cheers
alex.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How far past the tip does the shroud come???, ive always found that if i put a longer shroud on it moves the contact point further along the wire therefore reducing the burn back and sticking to the contact tip. and yes i did do it for a living.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Elliot101 said:
i even uped the tip size to .8 and it still sticks. QUOTE]

Upping the tip size will make the problem worse as you will get arcing. A good quality 0.6mm tip will be much better.

And dont even get me started on Clarke stuff :rolleyes:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
right problem finally sorted , seemed i had the wire feed thing to tight as previously said cheers ;)
and it didn't let the wire slip when it sticks to the tip,
didn't stick or tangle all night :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts