Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an exhaust made out of that shite "stainless" steel that I need to alter the length and shape of for it's new application.

Can I weld it with my MIG? What wire should I use and is it ridiculously expensive?

·
Watercooled, and warm!
10,277 Posts
Autohausdolby said:
I've got an exhaust made out of that shite "stainless" steel that I need to alter the length and shape of for it's new application.

Can I weld it with my MIG? What wire should I use and is it ridiculously expensive?
I used to mig stainless box section all the time, we used to use Argoshield instead of co2 and obviously stailess wire, you may need to mess around with the current/feed, but I can't see any reason why you normal mig set won't do it.

·
Banned
18,444 Posts
Autohausdolby said:

Man you live in the steel city :incheek:

I take anything i want stailess welding to handrails systems up the road from me he usaly charges me the price of his dinner ;) or ashursts on the way to the ski village

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha! Just you wait until I've had a go - it won't look pro then :lol: I always use argo shield anyway. Co2 is ffor jewelry makers IMHO - I need all the help I can get :D

Anyone got any ideas for stainless wire? Do normal high street places have it like machine mart?

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
Autohausdolby said:
Haha! Just you wait until I've had a go - it won't look pro then :lol: I always use argo shield anyway. Co2 is ffor jewelry makers IMHO - I need all the help I can get :D

Anyone got any ideas for stainless wire? Do normal high street places have it like machine mart?
you'll need to get a new wire feed tube for the welder too, otherwise you'll indroduce loads of impurities and the weld will still rust :)

·
Banned
18,444 Posts
spiny said:
you'll need to get a new wire feed tube for the welder too, otherwise you'll indroduce loads of impurities and the weld will still rust :)
See its worth getting a pro

Just thort of someware near you its across from rolled steal rings

Cant remember the firms name but the guy who works there is called nick

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spiny said:
The exhaust in question is from one of those "Longlife" franchise places and has light surface corrosion already :lol:

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
you will prob find that most stainless exhurst are mig welded and quite often from what i have seen, normal wire is uesed as well.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
automanics said:
Use TIG, much easier! :tick:
true but we are not all pro race car builders :D with tig's, i'm working on it though. unit i have been looking at has 3 phase, so makes it esay to get a resonable priced ac/dc set.

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
judgie said:
true but we are not all pro race car builders :D with tig's, i'm working on it though. unit i have been looking at has 3 phase, so makes it esay to get a resonable priced ac/dc set.
I thought everyone had one! :incheek:

:tick:

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
judgie said:
On a serious note, if you go for an older Miller ac/dc unit they can be wired for single or 3 phase! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts