Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need to replace 72/73 continential roof canvass , whats involved and where to get best quality replacement ???? also colours

thanks in advance

·
Registered
797 Posts
Replacement tips

2 maybe 3 person job, specially for taking the pop top off. My gf and I managed OK. The green cover Bentley has the removal and replacement steps in it. Also do a search on google, there are a few sites that give you more info eg http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0404vwt_westfalia_canvas_camper_replacement/

If you are putting the poptop on the grass maybe put an old blanket or 2 down - I got grass stains on mine.

Get a decent staple gun to staple the plastic strips that hold the canvas on to the poptop. You might find some rot on the wooden strips that the tent attaches to in the pop top, so bear that in mind when planning your time.

I can't remember where I bought my replacement from, but I only recently fitted it. I went for a close to stock as poss colour with the side windows. Mine came with all the rubber seals fro the pop top and trim for the luggage rack. Looks nicer with them on. I kept the plastic strip that was attached to the bus roof end of the canvas and put that between the canvas and the roof (extra waterproofing). Was a pain to screw back into place. If you are going that route, maybe glue it onto the bottom of the canvas before screwing it in place, make a note of how the plastic strip came off.

Were I to do it again, I'd measure the height of the canvas (roof to pop top) and try get the replacement the same length. It is very tight in the corners, but am hoping it'll stretch a little. Keep a jar handy for the millions of screws that screw the aluminium mouldings to the roof and make a note of which moulding fits where (front, back, left and right). Makes putting it back together easier.

A ratcheting/electric screwdriver might be an idea for all the little screws removal/replacement. Some of the screws might be a little fragiel, so maybe loosen by hand initally and then go at it with something faster

Have fun, first time you pop it on a trip you'll feel very proud to have done it yourself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts