Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
got camber?
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure whether this is a tech question or not but..

im putting together a little tool kit of the essentials to keep with me in my bug. what do i need? spanner/socket sizes? screwdrivers? ? ? etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,409 Posts
13 and 17mm spanners, massive hammer.
 

·
got camber?
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GermanLkManx said:
plus a 10mm, 19mm, flat and phillips screwdriver and a power probe! I reckon this would cater for 95% of all problems!

awesome.

tom.
cooolll

a power probe?
 

·
got camber?
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so:
-10 13 17 19 mm spanners
-hammer
-flat + philips screwdrivers
-power probe? whatever one of those is?
-3/8 socket with ratchet and extension


.... anything else anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,383 Posts
jasnye2212 said:
so:
-10 13 17 19 mm spanners
-hammer
-flat + philips screwdrivers
-power probe? whatever one of those is?
-3/8 socket with ratchet and extension

.... anything else anyone?
My power probe is by far favourite in my tool box. It is bascially a fancy test light for looking at the electrical system. Crocodile clips onto the battery, then a hand held unit that by way of a single LED tells you if a wire is power/ground/open. A flick switch lets you produce a power/ground which you can induce into a wire and the latest version is even a voltmeter which is useful when you have a vehicle that ain't charging. It's a beauty.

If you're having wiring issues (which most ACVWs have!) it's all the tool you need.

tom.
 

·
got camber?
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
-10 13 17 19 mm spanners
-hammer
-flat + philips screwdrivers
-multimeter
-3/8 socket with ratchet and extension
-chunky pliers
-long nose pliers


any more for any more?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,246 Posts
Set of metric feeler gauges
Strobe timing light
36mm or 46mm socket depending on what you're running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
A mobile phone and insurance or car-club membership with breakdown coverage... ;) That's what other people have told me when they see everything I keep up in the front in my 62!

Really though, enough tools and parts to at least change out the spare tyre, and swap out the fan belt should be carried.

Me, I like to take care of my own breakdowns, so I've always carried a lot of tools and spare parts with me.
-Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
Spare fan belt, i always carried 2, one incase mine broke and another incase my mates broke, gotta help out if u can, i just picked up tools as i worked on my car more, a decent socket set is always useful, screw drivers, one very thin screwdriver tip for adjusting the idle screw. A Jack, Braker bar and i think its a 17mm socket for the wheel nuts, or 19. Feeler gauges to set the rockers with. small hammer, Spare spark plug, New points if ur running them, Also get a copy of John muir's how to keep your volkswagen alive.
Worth it and helps you out of the shit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,872 Posts
Spanners...
8, 10, 13, 17. May want to consider an extra 10 & 13mm. If you have the space, add a 12, 14, 15 and 19. Make sure they're combination spanners (open end at one end, ring at the other).
Medium to large adjustable spanner (with jaws big enough for the crank shaft pulley nut).
Same for sockets and ratchet. Plus a 4 inch extension bar, and spark plug socket.
Screwdrivers - Philips, Posidrive, medium flat blade, short stubby flat blade. May want to consider a multi-tip ratchet screwdriver too (if you have the space).
Medium sized hammer.
Pliers.
Locking pliers (mole grips).
Something that's .4mm approx - for setting points gap.
Extending handle wheel brace.
WD40.
Cable ties.
Duct tape (if you have the space for a roll - but you can buy small rolls).
Couple of rags.
Latex/nitrile gloves.

As for spare parts...
Fan belt,
Spark plugs,
Points,
Condensor,
Fuses,
Bulbs,
Wire (electrical),
A small selection of nuts, bolts, washers, and screws.
 

·
got camber?
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mr_Wobble said:
Spanners...
8, 10, 13, 17. May want to consider an extra 10 & 13mm. If you have the space, add a 12, 14, 15 and 19. Make sure they're combination spanners (open end at one end, ring at the other).
Medium to large adjustable spanner (with jaws big enough for the crank shaft pulley nut).
Same for sockets and ratchet. Plus a 4 inch extension bar, and spark plug socket.
Screwdrivers - Philips, Posidrive, medium flat blade, short stubby flat blade. May want to consider a multi-tip ratchet screwdriver too (if you have the space).
Medium sized hammer.
Pliers.
Locking pliers (mole grips).
Something that's .4mm approx - for setting points gap.
Extending handle wheel brace.
WD40.
Cable ties.
Duct tape (if you have the space for a roll - but you can buy small rolls).
Couple of rags.
Latex/nitrile gloves.

As for spare parts...
Fan belt,
Spark plugs,
Points,
Condensor,
Fuses,
Bulbs,
Wire (electrical),
A small selection of nuts, bolts, washers, and screws.
thanks dude, seems like that should be enough to get you out of the shit in most situations :hangloose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
you also need a spade,black bin liner and your mother inlaw ...oh and a baseball bat ,take her with you ,when you brake down down some quiet lane and she starts to nag why you should have bought that shopping cart ford then you realise what they are for !
 

·
got camber?
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
shaggy the bay said:
you also need a spade,black bin liner and your mother inlaw ...oh and a baseball bat ,take her with you ,when you brake down down some quiet lane and she starts to nag why you should have bought that shopping cart ford then you realise what they are for !
haha!! :smurf:

my nans got some of my grandads old tools - im gona have a sort through next time i go, see what i can find :D
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top